Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Was wondering the same thing, since wifi speeds in a hotel suck big time at some hotels. So I wonder how Airtime will handle streaming of movies that I have loaded up on my iPad to the new Apple TV?

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
And for bigger grins.... (UK to the USA)

943778004.png

and if those grins aren't big enough - (UK to UK)

943779948.png

Of course, I can't use these speeds for watching movies!

These are at a university though? Mine is a residential connection, not work.

dezza.1985

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Although no designated internal storage, I'm sure that the new ATV must have a small memory in there to buffer as in the Keynote he still had to wait a few seconds for the unti to say the episode was ready to watch like the old one does.

What I normally do is rent the movie that I want to download and then wait half an hour whilst it buffers (Normally half the film on my slow 4mb/s) then I click play and never get and problems.

They can't reply on fully streaming with no large buffer storage or its just not going to work for the everyday person, which didn't he state was who this product is now aimed it?!?

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
My work connection......

(tis a little slow at the moment as it's lunchtime and probably being hammered by around 10-20,000 users)

My home connection......

Actually it's sooo slow at the moment I struggle to open speedtest (line issues) I think I'm getting around

P140897

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Would this be good enough for the Apple TV? How long would I have to wait to get an HD movie running? SD Movie?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-06 at 10.29.21 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-06 at 10.29.21 PM.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,101

rockhard

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
Hey this is my first post. I've been having a really bad experience renting iTunes movies via the AppleTV2 and wanted to get some information. I had a cable ISP with a 9mbps download speed with a d-link router. Whenever I'd try renting a movie it would say it was available in 2 to 3 hours. Then, even when it started playing would buffer 5 or 6 times during.

I get my TV through the phone company so I thought I'd bundle my internet with it and get a 15mbps DSL line which uses the 2wire modem/router. Here are my results:

I thought for sure this would fix the issue, but I've tried renting 2 movies since and they have both said "available in 6 hours"!!!! Considering the internet speed and the fact I've used TWO DIFFERENT ISPs and hardware it has to either be Apple servers or an issue with the AppleTV itself.

Can anyone comment??

Thanks! Great forum.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Hey this is my first post. I've been having a really bad experience renting iTunes movies via the AppleTV2 and wanted to get some information. I had a cable ISP with a 9mbps download speed with a d-link router. Whenever I'd try renting a movie it would say it was available in 2 to 3 hours. Then, even when it started playing would buffer 5 or 6 times during.

I get my TV through the phone company so I thought I'd bundle my internet with it and get a 15mbps DSL line which uses the 2wire modem/router. Here are my results:

I thought for sure this would fix the issue, but I've tried renting 2 movies since and they have both said "available in 6 hours"!!!! Considering the internet speed and the fact I've used TWO DIFFERENT ISPs and hardware it has to either be Apple servers or an issue with the AppleTV itself.

Can anyone comment??

Thanks! Great forum.

Based what I've been reading with people who have slow download rentals, I don't have much confidence in dsl service when it comes to streaming movies. That could just be that most dsl is slower than cable. A poll on this subject might be interesting. Did you happen to do a speedtest on your cable internet during the time you had slow streaming to know what speed you actually had at the time? I have "up to 12Mbps" service and when my test has actually been around 4Mbps, my HD rentals took a little longer to start (meaning a minute and a half) but lately I've been getting a test between 12 and 20Mbps and they start in a few seconds.

Have you tried all of the other things people have mentioned that fixed their issues, like changing tv settings, moving the atv away from other wireless devices, turning off "send data to Apple", backing out of buffering and restarting the rental, etc? Maybe the Canadian iTunes store is having issues? There are a lot of local things to try fixing before blaming Apple and giving up, especially when other people don't have issues.

rockhard

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
I did a speedtest when I had cable and it was a consistent 7-7.5 mbps. I switched for two reasons...one, my DLink router was on the way out, needing to be reset once or twice a day which got very frustrating. I was either going to spend $200 on an Airport Extreme and keep cable, or go to DSL to save by bundling with TV AND getting a faster speed without having to purchase a new router. I thought about it for a while knowing that cable is generally better, but I figured if I was getting the faster speed for a cheaper price then why not.

I ended up calling Apple finally. I haven't called yet because I assumed they would just say "sorry, it must be your internet" so I used it as a last resort. I talk to the rep and she was very helpful. She put me on hold for a couple minutes after doing a bit of troubleshooting and she said that there is indeed an issue on Apple's end. She said they weren't expecting the traffic that they've been getting and have overloaded the servers. There is a team of engineers working on the matter right now. She also said, "Apple doesn't mess around with issues like these so it should be up and ready in a week or so". She also suggested I email Apple and let them know of my issues and they should put a credit on my account considering I've attempted 8 movies, 1 one which actually worked.

Overall, I'm happy that they actually admitted it was their issue. Hopefully it's working again soon.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I did a speedtest when I had cable and it was a consistent 7-7.5 mbps. I switched for two reasons...one, my DLink router was on the way out, needing to be reset once or twice a day which got very frustrating. I was either going to spend $200 on an Airport Extreme and keep cable, or go to DSL to save by bundling with TV AND getting a faster speed without having to purchase a new router. I thought about it for a while knowing that cable is generally better, but I figured if I was getting the faster speed for a cheaper price then why not.

I ended up calling Apple finally. I haven't called yet because I assumed they would just say "sorry, it must be your internet" so I used it as a last resort. I talk to the rep and she was very helpful. She put me on hold for a couple minutes after doing a bit of troubleshooting and she said that there is indeed an issue on Apple's end. She said they weren't expecting the traffic that they've been getting and have overloaded the servers. There is a team of engineers working on the matter right now. She also said, "Apple doesn't mess around with issues like these so it should be up and ready in a week or so". She also suggested I email Apple and let them know of my issues and they should put a credit on my account considering I've attempted 8 movies, 1 one which actually worked.

Overall, I'm happy that they actually admitted it was their issue. Hopefully it's working again soon.

I'm glad you contacted Apple and I hope that improving the Canadian iTunes service fixes it for you. They really do try to help people when you give them a chance.

rockhard

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
This was my second experience with Apple tech support and I was very impressed. Usually its phone, press 1, press 3, press 5 etc etc...wait...wait...wait....sorry we can't help you.

This I logged in on apple.ca, chose my apple tv, selected the issue and then they phoned me. Amazing customer service.

maroot

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
Ping more important than bandwidth?

I've had issues with streaming to my ATV also. Hardwired to my Time Capsule. I have PREMIER Cox internet and doing speedtest, I get anywhere from 5 Mbps to 15 Mbps. My ping is almost always around 125. Do I most likely have an issue with my connection with Cox? Should the ping be much better? I'm thinking of calling Cox anyway, as I have been PAYING for "up to 25 Mbps" speed. I have to think the issue is on their end.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

pricej636

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Florida
I've had issues with streaming to my ATV also. Hardwired to my Time Capsule. I have PREMIER Cox internet and doing speedtest, I get anywhere from 5 Mbps to 15 Mbps. My ping is almost always around 125. Do I most likely have an issue with my connection with Cox? Should the ping be much better? I'm thinking of calling Cox anyway, as I have been PAYING for "up to 25 Mbps" speed. I have to think the issue is on their end.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Your ping time sucks. This is most definitely your issue.

rockhard

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
How can the ping affect your download speed for streaming a movie?

As you can see in my post above, I get 67ms on pintest.net, but I get 129ms on speedtest.net. It seems like my ping is almost always in the 120-130 range on speedtest. A higher ping is typical of DSL isn't it?

maroot

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
Speedtest Question

I am out of Omaha. When I run Speedtest, it shows the closest server as being in Norfolk, Nebraska, which is about 100 miles away. When I run speedtest from that server, I get 125 ms ping and 7 Mbps download. I chose a server in Bixby, Oklahoma (much further away) and I get 20 Mbps download speed and my ping is 8 ms!

So I wonder what this all means??? What is the best approach to doing the speedtest?

I'm having Cox check my connection when I get home from work. They tell me the speedtests on the net are not always reliable and they check for packet drops to tell them how good their connection really is.

True?

Last edited:

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro

Can anyone comment??

Thanks! Great forum.

You don't mention whether your ATV is wireless or wired, but if it is not wired, that is probably your biggest issue.

This is my bandwidth when wired:

It drops to about 20-30Mbps and my ping and upload also takes a crap. Move to a wired Gig-E environment and most issues will disappear. A majority of issues are causes by local area network issues and not your ISP.

maroot

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
You don't mention whether your ATV is wireless or wired, but if it is not wired, that is probably your biggest issue.

This is my bandwidth when wired:

It drops to about 20-30Mbps and my ping and upload also takes a crap. Move to a wired Gig-E environment and most issues will disappear. A majority of issues are causes by local area network issues and not your ISP.

That download speed is INSANE!!! I am so jealous!

:D

maroot

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
Just an update on my situation. I had my cable guy come out and access things and he recommended I get a DOCSIS 3 modem, which I did.

Amazing difference. I now get over 50Mbps from speedtest and my problems have disappeared. No dropouts, hesitations or long buffering. Movie trailers from iTunes start immediately and never pause anymore. Netflix seems to take awhile to start up, but then it goes perfectly.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Just an update on my situation. I had my cable guy come out and access things and he recommended I get a DOCSIS 3 modem, which I did.

Amazing difference. I now get over 50Mbps from speedtest and my problems have disappeared. No dropouts, hesitations or long buffering. Movie trailers from iTunes start immediately and never pause anymore. Netflix seems to take awhile to start up, but then it goes perfectly.

Thanks for following up. It's always helpful to document how people fix their issues.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Speedtest has to be lying for me. Were paying for 15 mbps d/l and 3 upload and when I usually do the test I get around 10-12 d/l. Now lately it's giving me 1/2 d/l. When my internet connection still seems pretty fast.

Now it has to be speed test lying and giving me inaccurate results or there's a problem with my isp.

I just got this computer the end of november, should have no issues with internet connection.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Speedtest has to be lying for me. Were paying for 15 mbps d/l and 3 upload and when I usually do the test I get around 10-12 d/l. Now lately it's giving me 1/2 d/l. When my internet connection still seems pretty fast.

Now it has to be speed test lying and giving me inaccurate results or there's a problem with my isp.

I just got this computer the end of november, should have no issues with internet connection.

If it's cable internet, the speed will fluctuate depending on whether little Johnny next door is downloading his daily pron at the time your doing the speed test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.