Internet Speed slow (MBP Mid 2012)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davyvfr, Sep 14, 2012.

1. davyvfr macrumors regular

Hello,

I can't seem to figure out why my ping is 326ms and my download is 1mb with an upload of 1mb on a 25mb/s download and 5mbps upload internet plan. I am using Cox Communications.

Secondly, I strongly believe its the wifi network card in the laptop. Here's why:

I went to my dorm room and my roommate had a constant 15mb/s. I was lucky to get 3mb/s. Both laptops were placed in the same location with full wifi bars. Youtube videos took forever to load on Wifi, but with directly connected it was no problem.

Then, I go home on the weekend. I test my laptop to find I am getting a really high ping and the worst download speeds I have ever seen. I know its not my ISP, but I am not ruling out my 4 year out router is the problem. It could very well be a software issue, but I have just recently noticed this problem. Its good I am going to the Genius Bar tomorrow. Its kind of early for this stuff to happen with a 2 month old computer.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Take it in as you plan to and see what Apple has to say - very well may be the wireless card.

3. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

I will do so. This really sucks since I am taking it in for a creaking hinge (like the sound of a door creaking) and a battery that might be defective. On top of the Wifi card problem.

It could be my router too (because I have noticed intermittent dropouts). But, the laptop in the dorm should not have a problem. We were watching the same video at the same time. I even bought a Wireless G router to my dorm with 100% wireless signal and still, slow as can be.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If that is the case then it is probably the card. It could be a number of things, though.

What's up with your battery?

5. davyvfr, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

This part about the battery is debatable of whether its worth taking it in for this reason. Bascially, I want my battery tested to determine of it is defective. My reasoning is that my Macbook Pro came with a 90% battery capacity (with no cycles). It has increased to 93% then dropped back to 90% with 27 cycles. I did not buy it at the Apple Store. The problem is that is just seemed a low capacity for the number of cycles. I've been looking around, and people don't get to 90% until they have over 100 cycles.

On a side note, one of my Macbook Pro key's were bent so I brought one off ebay and replaced it myself. I didn't expect this to happen until owning my Macbook for a year.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hm, shipping at 90% capacity is certainly not good. What application are you using to read your battery's health/status? It's going to fluctuate and the apps are not going to be 100% accurate.

Whether or not people have a certain amount of cycles and this point or that point is totally subjective - I wouldn't worry too much about comparisons in that sense, but again with the 90% that isn't good.

7. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Coconut Battery and iStat. Its hovering around 93% right now but this changes. I get 4 hours doing basic internet usage (no Flash websites). I use Flash Blocker to eliminate Flash from the equation.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I'm interested in seeing what they have to say about it having 90% capacity with 0 cycles.

I'm curious - what's the age of it? Although even if it was sitting on a shelf somewhere for a while, they capacity of the battery shouldn't decrease obviously.

9. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

It was purchased 2 months ago (the laptop). HOWEVER, the battery is 16 weeks old. I wonder if it was left in a storage warehouse for a long time below 50% battery charge which messed it up. Apple says charge it to 50% battery and check it every now and then to make sure its at 50%. Fry's Electronics was selling it for $200 off (lower than Apple Store Student Discount) Does this seem odd?

I didn't return it from Fry's since I thought 90% battery capacity was normal for a battery with 0 cycles. Now I learned about batteries better, I know its perfectly not normal.

10. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not entirely. Some retail stores offer solid deals.

12. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so my Wifi card is fine. My modem was only bonding one downstream and one upstream. This really affected my internet speeds. I restarted my modem and it fixed the issue (it was a problem with the ISP). I just assumed my Wifi card was the problem, but its just fine.

As far as my University, I found out my roommate was using a direct connect at that time he was playing the video, while I was using Wifi (router is down the hall). The router was most likely being overloaded.

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Okay, well that's good then. The battery needs to be looked at though with what you are describing to me.

What's with the hinge? I am assuming it's too tight due to a creaking sound.

14. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I'm a perfectionist, but the hinge slightly bothers me. Its a low creaking sound. It only happens when MacBook Pro has been closed for a long time (over an hour) and then it is opened. It only happens once and if I close the lid and open it again it will not make the sound. I just want them to check the screws on the hinge. There very well could be nothing wrong with it.

The main thing I am going in for is the battery. I will post here what they say tomorrow. I hope they replace it even if its not defective. I got a 90% capacity battery to begin with so hopefully this is a good enough reason. Also, would a re-install of Mountain Lion fix any battery life issues?

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Might as well get the hinge checked while you are there. I believe they will replace the battery.

I don't think a reinstallation of ML will help you - it surely would not repair a faulty battery of course. Again I think that they will replace it if that is the case.