Internet speed suddenly slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cragga, May 11, 2013.

1. cragga, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013

cragga macrumors newbie

Hi

This has probably been posted a few times but I'm baffled as to why this has happened.

Up until 2 weeks ago my mac's Internet connection through sky broadband unlimited was fast and worked fine. I have a 2006 iMac, old I know but it's in great condition, perfect for our household and like I say the Internet was nice and fast. It has always been connected via an Ethernet cable, so having tried airport too it's still just as slow. It's not mega slow but it's noticeable. Downloads (not that I download much anyway) peak at 40kb/s when it used to be in it's hundreds. YouTube I have to pause so it will buffer when I never had to do that before. Any images on web pages load slowly also. Changing web browsers hasn't made any difference too, I have used firefox, safari and google chrome. All my available updates have been updated just to note also.

I wouldn't have thought it was my ISP throttling me (better not anyway!) as our iPhones use the routers wifi and are as fast as before. The mac works fine for other applications and it boots and shuts down just as fast as before, so the hard drive seems fine. Just to note I have replaced the microfilters with new ones also.

Anyone have any idea? I believe changing ports etc. may help? If someone knows what to do please go easy on me I don't like messing around with settings but if its a relatively easy thing to sort I'd really appreciate a simple step by step.

Hope someone knows how to get my connection back up to how it was before. It would be really appreciated.

Cheers

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Have you tried using different browsers? Clearing cache? Just thinking aloud here.

I was gonna say that maybe someone is leeching onto your WiFi, but your iPhone's speed is still fast.

3. cragga thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have tried different browsers, emptied the caches but still no faster. I keep constantly checking the attached devices when i log into my router also.

This maybe me just being paranoid but am I right in thinking that if there was any kind of malware on my mac that it would affect other applications? Like I say everything else works fine. My partner's card had been used fraudulently a few weeks back but the statement said POS, which is point of sale purchase, which requires a PIN number, not something that would bevomline or on my mac. However since then I have been quite worried what with the Internet connection going slow.

Is there a check I could I do to rule out that this may be a contributing factor?

Cheers