Internet speed tests, are all test sites created equal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMas70, Oct 6, 2017.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I usually use speedtest.net but recently tried a few other sites. I find that the results vary. For example, speedtest.net showed me speeds at 595/41 Mbps while Google Fiber's speed test site gave me a result of 887 and 42. These were done seconds apart. Google Fiber always gives me higher numbers. So... are they all created equal or is the testing done differently?

2. Weaselboy, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I don't see much difference among them all, but your speeds are a little higher than mine, so that might account for it.

I like this one I linked because in addition to speed, it give you a download quality result also.

3. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That one gave me 881/41. I like how it provides details for the test.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

I also use the DSLReports speed test, I've got the same member name in their forums. My equally favored summary portal is at Sourceforge, HTML5-based:
    https://sourceforge.net/speedtest

5. jerwin macrumors 65816

6. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

850Mbps.png
    I think this will be my main test site now! This week I upgraded to Comcast's Gigabit service and bought a Netgear Nighthawk modem/router. Much better than it was before!

7. Rab Simpson macrumors regular

Rab Simpson

If you have a fast connection your results will vary depending on which server the test is being carried out on, what its upstream and downstream bandwidth capacities are, how many other people are using them for testing at the time, how many hops (servers en route) between you and the server, and how much traffic is travelling between those hops at the time. Gone are the days when only data centres could transfer a lot of data in one go.

If you want to test your connection to your ISP, the best thing to do is test against a server as close to your closest internet traffic hub as possible. In the UK, servers located in data centres in London will provide the best results in terms of keeping the number of hops to a minimum. For other places, you'd have to look into your local infrastructure.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I don't see much difference among them all either.
    I settled with speedtest.net.