Internet speed to stream 4K from iMac to Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by johannnn, Mar 22, 2018.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

I have some 4K movies on my 2017 5k SSD iMac that I would like to stream to my Apple TV 4K through Home Sharing or Plex. I have 100mbit down and 10mbit up. The Apple TV has wired internet, and the iMac has wifi.

I have previously been using this setup for 1080p and it works perfect. But what about 4K? Does the iMac use the 10mbit up to send the data to the Apple TV? Or how does that work? I’m just wondering I need to get higher internet speeds or not.

Does HDR work through Home Sharing btw?

2. fiddysent macrumors member

fiddysent

I think you can download the movie to your Apple TV through iTunes and run it directly from the unit

3. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

AFAIK, both PLEX and home sharing uses your local network.

They both use the internet for authentication, but they should work without the internet as soon as it authenticates.

So, to answer your question, it does not use the 10Mbps upload speed to stream to your devices locally.

If you have buffering issues, this could mean a few things, one being a bottleneck in your network. I am not saying you are doing this, but many people upgrade their internet to speeds that they do not need, and speeds that they would never see because their home network won't perform at those speeds.

Why not just try streaming it to find out?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2018 ---
    I think I remember reading something about iTunes not supporting 4k local streams. This was when the ATV4k came out, so I am not sure if things have changed since then.

I am not 100% sure about this. I would just use Plex anyways.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68040

It is not possible to download 4K versions of purchased iTunes movies.
    But it is perfectly possible to store your own 4K movie in local iTunes library and homeshare it to appleTV.

5. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Yeah, I think this is what I was reading about. I don't have a 4K tv yet, so it didn't really concern me at the time of reading.

That said, I have been distancing myself from many of Apple's ecosystem apps, such as iTunes.

Plex has been a good replacement for iTunes, and I would recommend that over iTunes.

6. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

At the very least I would say you would need a 5 ghz wireless connection to stream 4k movies from your iMac to your AppleTV. A 5 ghz 802.11ac connection runs faster than 2.4 ghz.

"5GHz radios support significantly higher maximum data rates in network standards 802.11n and 802.11ac. Home devices that generate or consume the largest amount of network traffic, like video streaming units or game consoles, generally run fastest over 5 GHz links".