Internet Speed with Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by giraut, May 15, 2015.

1. giraut macrumors newbie

I just upgraded my Verizon Internet speed from 75/75 to 150/150. My first speed tests conducted while I was connected via wifi gave me lower speeds than I'd had with the 75/75 option: about 50 download / 65 upload. We mostly connect via wifi, but I connected via a hard ethernet connection and speed was a full 150/150. That's the good news. But.

1. Suppose I want to create a hardwire connection to my router from my MBA, and I purchase Apple's Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter Cable. Will I see 150/150 speeds more or less to my MBA, or will something screwy happen in the process of going from ethernet to Thunderbolt? In other words, I don't want to spend $29 on the adapter, only to find that I'm not getting 150/150 (more or less). Are there settings I have to change in network preferences in order for this to work properly? Do I have to disable my wifi connection in order for it to work properly?

2. My MBA is 4 feet from the router. No microwave is on in the house. No other computer is being used. No cordless phone is being used. But I get 50 Mbps download (or worse!) through wifi, when I get 150 hard-wired. Why?

Thanks.

Giraut

2. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

I have 4 years of experience with the TB to Ethernet adapter on my 2011 11" MBA. There is no speed lost through the adapter, I can assure you. Had clients with Gb wired connections and I got full speed from them. That adapter is a quality piece of kit.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the Wifi you're experiencing. Did you get a new modem from Verizon when you upgraded your subscription? If so, look into seeing if it could use a firmware update. That happened to me when switching ISP's last year. The new modem I got was on old firmware and I was having problems with it that a firmware update fixed right up.

Even if you've still got the same modem, it might still be worth a try, can't hurt and might help!

3. Significant1 macrumors 6502

The thunderbolt to ethernet will give you full 1Gbps speed without problems. But don't settle for Apple's USB to ethernet adapter, if you want speed, since it is only a 100Mbps adapter.

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Did you change your wireless router when you upgraded?

----------

Is that true? I never knew that. Hard to believe that they would do that.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes, the Apple USB to ethernet adapter is only 10/100. It's USB 2.0, assuming it hasn't been updated as USB 2.0 is "only" 480 megabits/second.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Are you sure? I took this from Apple's website

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's the Thunderbolt Adapter, it's gigabit. The USB to Ethernet Adapter is 10/100 only.

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

lol
    I was thinking thunderbolt adapter because that's what I have :eek:

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have had good results with the Inateck USB 3.0 ethernet adaptor. I use an external monitor with my MBA and didn't want to tie up the thunderbolt port. As a bonus, the Inateck doubles as a USB hub. I get full gigabit speed copying files to a server over the LAN.

More info here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1731986