Internet Speed

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MinEderPlayz, Aug 3, 2013.

  1. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

    MinEderPlayz

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2013
    Location:
    Hamburg, Germany
    #1
    Dear community,

    I recently upgraded my poor 2MBit/s DSL internet connection to FTTH with 100MBit/s speed down and up.
    Although I was able to download with the full 12,5MByte/s (100MBit/s) while inside Origin and the Mac App Store, I did not manage to achieve speeds higher than 5MByte/s (40-50MBit/s) in Google Chrome 28 and no more than 7-8MByte/s (60-70MBit/s) in Safari 6 with any download server. :eek: I tested several Gigabit servers hosted by universities and popular ones like MEGA or even Apple's iTunes download. None of these achieved higher download rates. :rolleyes:
    (By the way, speedtests via www.speedtest.net taken through the browser still show 100MBit/s.)
    Even dedicated speedtest servers which offer big unusable files to dowload didn't do the trick.
    Is this a problem in Safari and Chrome, did I just choose bad servers or is there any other reason (and solution) for this? :confused:
    Kind regards,
    Tom :)

    (Please excuse my bad English, I am from Germany and tried to avoid Google Translator :eek: - maybe that thing would have made this even worse...)
     
  2. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

    iPhonemaster5S

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    Location:
    Colorado
    #2

    What provider are you using? Vodafone? Arcor? I speak German if you like type in German and I will try and respond in German. Also some areas like Düsseldorf have issues with getting up to advertised speeds.
     
  3. MinEderPlayz thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MinEderPlayz

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2013
    Location:
    Hamburg, Germany
    #3
    Well, as I mentioned advertised speeds ARE achieved with Origin, Mac App Store and speedtest.net - which is the only service running that fast through the browser. All other services that achieve those speeds rely on their own apps.

    And now THIS is interesting: using a Boot Camp-Windows 8 installation with Internet Explorer, I achieved 12MByte/s downloads. Just not in OS X... :eek:
     

Share This Page