Internet speeds acting up, advice wanted!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ideal.dreams, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I pay for an Internet plan in which I get 15MBPS plus an additional 5MBPS to 10MBPS with power boost. Today I tried downloading iOS 5.1.1 and noticed it had an estimated completion time of 2 hours, which set off a red flag because I've downloaded files the same size in a fraction of that time. Upon doing a speed test, I found I'm only getting about 2MBPS. It's since improved to 10MBPS over the course of a few hours but I'm still not getting what it should be at. I called my ISP and they're sending out a technician...on Wednesday.

Here's how I have everything set up. I have a two-story house with a basement. The modem and router are both in the basement. I also have an Access Point on the first level of the house to boost signal. My MacBook Pro is in my bedroom on the second floor and is constantly connected to the Access Point.

I went to the basement and plugged in an ethernet cable to my MBP and got speeds of 30MBPS. Disconnected that and connected to the router in the basement and got about 25MBPS. Went to the first level of the house and connected to the Access Point on the same level and got about 22MBPS. Went upstairs and it dropped to 10MBPS. I have no clue what's causing the interference and all I know is that it wasn't acting like this yesterday. My ISP said there are no outages in my area and everything looked OK on their end.

Does anyone have ANY clues as to why I'm losing so much speed?

2. Svend macrumors member

Well, it's not your ISP that has a problem. If you plug into the modem and get 35 Mbps, then it's fine. Is the access point hardwired to the router, or wireless to it also? Download netstumbler and see if there are other wireless routers close that could be stepping over yours. You may change the channels on yours to see if that helps.

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The access point is hardwired. I'll give that app a try and post any results.

Edit: I'm using a Mac, netstumbler is for Windows.

4. Svend macrumors member

On the mac it's istumbler.

http://istumbler.net/

5. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

iStumbler is showing both my Access Point AND router in the basement as getting 30% signal...how can this be? The AP should have a higher signal as it's one level up from the router. My AP is also on a channel that no other router is using in the neighborhood.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not necessarily. Different antennas, different output power.

7. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

have a second router upstiars, its what I do, I have three networks and it seems to automaticly switch over , but I guess the are far enough apart.

8. robertslo macrumors newbie

robertslo

Download netstumbler and see if there are other wireless routers close that could be stepping over yours. You may change the channels on yours to see if that helps.

9. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I tried iStumbler, and it shows that I have a 55% signal, and that is with my time capsule about 6 feet away from it. Is that normal?