Internet speedtest at Apple Store

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by WPB2, Jul 28, 2008.

1. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I wanted to know who all have performed speed tests at their local apple store, I did and this is my results. 28.8 Mbps./2.0 Mbps. That's pretty fast, and their is free wifi there. If I ever have to upload any large files I know where to go now. Anyway, everybody post your results, I am curious.

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

You'd have to have a pretty large file to make a trip to the apple store, plus an upload, plus a trip home faster than uploading on cable/dsl. Dial-up maybe.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The speed depends on the number of people using it. On some stores due to the number of people using the wifi it's fairly slow for an individual.

No, your uploads will not go nearly as fast as that speed. In addition, not only are you steadling (no, the wifi is not intended for you to upload large files), but any large file you are uploading is probably illegal and since they wouldn't want something illegal if they can help it, they might catch you.

Like what would happen at any store, if you do something stupid, you might get banned or/and arrested.

4. WPB2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I talking about stuff I do everyday that is painfully slow, like selling things on ebay, and uploading multiple pictures, or sending pictures to my website, or things like that. Im not talking about Torrents.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

So, I'm gonna upload my 300MB home movie which I edited on my Mac so that my friends can see it in good quality. I'm doing something illegal, right?!

6. WPB2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Oh yeah... Consultant is gonna call the cops on you when he sees you in the apple store on your lappy. Better wear a disguise, just in case.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

HUh?

*THIS JUST IN*

jULY 28, 2008

Many businesses have fast internet connections.

That is all.

Or you could just pony up and upgrade your internet connection.

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Consultant, please don't call the police next time I upload a file at the Apple Store:rolleyes:

Anyway, I was in the 5th Avenue Apple Store in September last year. I got 28mbps downloading a TV show from iTunes. The store was packed. I'm sure the connection speed for a single user is over 500mbps.

The fastest we have in Africa is 4mbps:(

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmm...so South Africa has internet and north africa doesn't have running water. Nice.

10. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Lol many places in South Africa don't have running water either.

South Africa has a very high poverty and unemployment rate, as well as being home to thousands of millionaires and billionaires (in US dollars).

If you come to Cape Town (where I live), just the drive from the airport will amaze you as to how you can go from extreme poverty to extreme wealth with a short 50km drive.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

How far do you think you would make it with a MBA under your arm outside the airport? 50km away?

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well some people do have jobs. (What a concept!) :rolleyes:

Doing job well -> money.

Money -> ability to pay for things you want, such as high speed internet, taking girls out to dates, etc.

You can't afford $20 a month for DSL? How do you actually access the internet at home? With a modem on a $5/month plan?

I was using a modem 10 years ago. Nothing wrong with 5KB/s. Just do it at night after you go to sleep.

By the way, you can get high speed download anywhere in the world. Ever heard of satellite? It's just that it's probably not within your budget.

13. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

In the township (similar to, but much worse than "Hoovervilles" during the Great Depression), a few km's from the airport, you would most likely be raped and murdered as well as everything you had on you taken:(

14. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Hahahahahaha:) I pay R7500 (about $1000) a month for uncapped, 4mbps DSL. I live in AFRICA. Satellite is even more expensive, and slower. I live in a third world country. You should try learning about the world around you. Not every country is a rich and powerful as the USA:rolleyes:

15. Aranince macrumors 65816

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Well, with a 1.5Mb/500Kb i doubt the closest store will be much faster, maybe 8Mb/1Mb.

Stupid BT Lines >.> When will Virgin bring Fibre Optic to the area!!!

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm happy with my 50Mbps/20Mbps thank you very much.

If you even used satellite you would know it's super expensive, bandwidth is capped, and downloads are throttled after a few megabytes.

18. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Brilliant! Some folk just don't get out much :) . I feel your pain - trying to get my folks back in the Homeland hooked up to ADSL is proving impossible.

19. Rossoneri macrumors newbie

Holy! $1000 a month! How can you afford that?

In Italy I am paying €30 a month for 7.2mb/s 3G coverage that covers 97% of Italy. :p

20. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

It's beyond what most South Africans can afford and is mainly due to a complete monopoly of fixed lines by the telecoms supplier.

21. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Maybe the US hot rich and powerful stealing tue assets of Africa.

22. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Or it could be the serious incompetence of African governments..