Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appdict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hi all,
Before I post the issue, yes I used an internet tethering "hack" as I am on AT&T. I've never used it and I don't plan to unless I can actually afford the extra money.

My fathers iMac instantly detects my iPhone 3G when plugging it in via USB and within seconds the internet tethering bar appears. This isn't the case with my (overly outdated) PowerBook G4. I have internet tethering on, and it is set to USB tethering. I have a perfectly fine Apple USB cord, although any apps that are set to discover the 3G (iTunes, iPhoto) never detect that the phone is indeed plugged in.

Now, my question is, could this be because of the cord, my outdated computer (which is on 10.5.7), or the phone itself?

Thanks in advance. :)

Appdict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hm, okay. The great thing about the port I'm using it keeps power streaming to the phone even while the laptop is in sleep mode!

Edit: My Network preference pane reported a new network interface had been detected. "Ethernet Adaptor (en2)"

thisisarcadia

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Tethering is not a supported option on the iPhone at this time. :)

At this time it doesnt mean he is on 3.1b 2. He could still be on 3.0. Anyways i am having the same problem, i think it has to do something with the built in ethernet on that computer. On my macbook it recognizes my iPhone tethering via ethernet adaptor! It automatically created this when i plugged up my iPhone and tethering was on. As for the powermac G4 (quicksilver) and the hp i have they do not seem to recognize the iPhone as a ethernet adaptor and cannot connect to the tethering. I dont understand why not, but look into what kind of ethernet you have and if it supports "adaptor!" Does this make any sense?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
This is TETHERING supported by my 3GS 32GB iPhone 3.0 via my USB cable or the BT option as I've used in the past.......:p:p:p

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 64

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I didn't say it was not possible. I said it was not supported. Either by Apple or the carrier at this time.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I think this is an issue of the version of iTunes on each computer. Your dad's probably has the newest version which provides the driver necessary, and your G4 has older.

Appdict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Pennsylvania
Well, I don't know if I have updated iTunes since this puppy can barely handle a YouTube video :(.

I'll try that when I have the right computing power! :rolleyes:

ghcmonkey

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Hi all,
Before I post the issue, yes I used an internet tethering "hack" as I am on AT&T. I've never used it and I don't plan to unless I can actually afford the extra money.

What do you mean afford the extra money. Isn't tethering through the hack free?

Cavanboy18

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
what os are you running on your g4? usb tethering is only supported on 10.5.7 or higher u will need to use bluetooth for 10.4.x

Synthetickiller

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
I got tethering to work in Vista and leopard, but I could not get it to work in Tiger, so I think it's an OS issue.

Good luck!

scubasteve03

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Tulsa, OK
I have the answer

Here's whats going on. You have to have Itunes 8.2 installed on the G4 in order to tether on that computer. I know it's an old computer that has troubles with youtube, but that is a CPU performance problem. Keeping itunes updated has nothing to do with CPU performance. Just update it and you are set. Let me know if that works for you. Have a great day :)

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I didn't say it was not possible. I said it was not supported. Either by Apple or the carrier at this time.

Actually, it IS supported by apple, just not AT&T. Other countries then the US have tethering, so apple supports it 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.