Internet Time no longer works?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I have noticed that my MDD will no longer set the time/date over the Internet. I always have to set it manually. Any idea if the Apple Time Server still works?

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

The address for the apple time server has not changed since OS 9. I don't think that it would have stopped working, because then every Mac made in the last 15+ years would not have it's time auto set.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Works for me, I just used it to set the time on my G4 GigE running Leopard. Sometimes it helps to uncheck and recheck "Set date & time automatically".

4. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I have. It simply does nothing.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Try switching to a different time server and then back. If that does not work, then either wait until it's next check or force it in Terminal.

Code:
    sudo ntpdate -u time.apple.com

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have no trouble even in OS 9

I generally use nist1-pa.ustiming.org instead of the Apple time servers. If you're going to use a NIST server, use one reasonably close to you.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When we got a new Windows server way back in 2006 I made the IT guy setting it up install a time server on it so the PCs and the Macs in the office would all be on the same time.

He wasn't too happy when I told him to use time.apple.com for the time server lookup. :D

8. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Usually for Windows I used an Atomic Clock program

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I guess I'm anal about this since I'm a watch guy and like my computers to have accurate time.

In any case, I was comparing my watch to computer time a few minutes ago and noticed that either the watch had gained a lot of time since I last checked, or the computer was a couple of seconds off. I checked it against www.time.gov, and found that my computer was way off.

A little bit of digging on NIST told me that the PA server was down, so I switched to time-c.nist.gov , which is in Gaithersburg, MD(again, find one as close as reasonably possible to you). I changed to that, and everything is great now.

IMG_1722.jpg IMG_1723.jpg

Screenshot 2015-07-23 15.59.06.png Screenshot 2015-07-23 15.59.42.png Screenshot 2015-07-23 16.01.56.png

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

The reason back then I had the guy set up the time server was actually work related. At the time we were using QuarkXPress 6.x for ads. That app has the nasty little side effect (never fixed) that if auto backup and auto save (two well used features of the program) were on, it would create small little temporary files in addition to the main file. This was actually a background process that because of the bug was forced into the foreground where it was visible. Chaos could then ensue for various reasons having to do with those temporary files.

Shutting off those features was the solution - until the next factor that also causes this showed itself. Time drift. If the clock on the server and the client computer was off by any significant amount we got these temp files all over again even though the two main features were shut off. Not to mention it messed with time stamps for imported graphics.

So, getting all the clients and the server synced up was my reason for asking the IT guy to do this. Once it was set up the problem went away for good.

Now of course, we've long ago abandoned XPress 6.x and later and are using InDesign CS4 so it no longer matters. Well that and we got a new server last year too so…:D

11. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Well It seems the issue was my Bridge setup. I no longer have and AirPort inside the MDD as it seems to have failed on me. the USB Wireless adaptor I was using stopped connecting to the network, so I brought in my laptop and used it to share the connection. I Ran a eathernet cable right to the computer and now it seems to work fine i flipped the switch to my Power Center for the computer while it was on. When It booted back up the time was still set.