Internet timeouts via browser, but stable everywhere else

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by baehr, Nov 23, 2011.

1. baehr macrumors newbie

I surely hope that this is the correct place to ask.

I've been having this peculiar yet incredibly frustrating issue with my computer, and it's been happening since I first purchased it.

In a nutshell, my emails/skypes/pings&tracerouts all go through without a flaw. When I run a speed test my speeds sit nicely at 40mb/s down and 5mb/s up. But when I try to browse web pages using Chrome/Firefox/Safari the connection hangs, pages fail to load and load slowly. It happens intermittently, but frequent enough to make every-day tasks nearly impossible to do.

I called Apple support and the technician was unsure. But when researching this issue online it seems fairly common. Unfortunately I have yet to find an answer that works for me.

Important facts to know:

The internet connection is stable on all of my other house-hold computers including my phone. Which is why I know that this is not an issue with my ISP.

I have tried changing my DNS settings to Google's public DNS... alas no change.

I bought this computer only a few months ago. It's a 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro with OS X version 10.7.2

This issue happens wired and wireless.

Thanks for any help, in advanced!

2. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

That is an odd problem...certainly frustrating....

One thing I do when I notice browser oddities (crashes, slowdowns, etc..) is to empty the caches...then try using browser....couldn't hurt to try....

3. baehr thread starter macrumors newbie

ArchiMark,

I've done that, also flushed my DNS cache. There's no firewall enabled as well.

Not sure what the problem is.

4. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Can you disable network password (assuming you have one set...you should...) temporarily and see if you can connect then?