Internet VERY Slow on Mac, but not BC Vista

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pur3h8r3d, Nov 22, 2008.

1. pur3h8r3d macrumors member

pur3h8r3d

I am having a problem with Mac OSX 10.5. Recently the internet has been going very very slow. At first I thought it was something going on with my ISP , but then I needed to boot up into Vista using Boot Camp and I noticed my internet was going as fast as it should be.

I ran software update so I am up to date with everything. I ran Onyx to repair permissions and run scripts and everything seems to be running smoothly on the computer itself. Ive tried FireFox and Safari both perform the same.

Everything used to be fine, and one day it just decided to go really slow. Some pages that take 2 seconds to fully load on Google Chrome on Vista take about a Minute on Firefox/Safari on Mac.

Does anyone have ideas on what it could be? My specs are
    Macbook Pro 2.2ghz
    4GB RAM
    Mac OSX 10.5
    200GB HDD

Thanks in advance.

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Reboot?

If you haven't done this in the last couple of weeks, I would try rebooting the computer. There are times this fixes my slowness problem when I haven't shut down in a while. Good luck,
    Morod

3. Tibbar macrumors member

In the Advanced section of your Network settings, check out the DNS tab. Do you have multiple servers listed? Maybe delete them.

Or under Network Settings you could try making a new "Location" with different settings.

My friend had an issue where his laptop was slow at work because it was trying a list of DNS servers that were really for his home network. Each one failed until the last, which was the appropriate one for work, so his internet was really slow.

4. pur3h8r3d thread starter macrumors member

pur3h8r3d

The DNS servers was it! Solved the issue! Thank you very much for your help!