Internet very slow on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MissIona, Dec 31, 2011.

1. MissIona macrumors newbie

Hi,

Please bare with me as I'm not very technical. A couple of days ago I installed a couple of updates on my macbook pro - can't remember what they were I'm afraid, I also downloaded a couple of programs to save youtube videos to my mac and downloaded and saved a couple of youtube videos..

Right after I did all this my internet got really, really slow. It's so slow pages are often timing out before they load and it's too time consuming to look at anything online (and I only look at forums, my email and online shops!).

I am using 3 mobile broadband at home. I also tried using it in my office which has broadband and it was still much slower then it should have been, although it was faster then with my mobile broadband but then the connection would have been much better..

I am using a mac os x, version 10.5.8, here is the hardware overview of it's of any use..

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05
    SMC Version (system): 1.41f2

I appreciate I haven't given much info but I didn't know what else to give.. I'm not great with computers! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Did the connection slow down only on your Macbook pro? Do you have other computers in your home that you can test?

Now, I assume you're connected over wifi (correct me if I'm wrong here).

You can go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced and delete all remembered networks. Then Set up your network from scratch again.
    [​IMG]

3. MissIona thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for replying :) I'm using 3 mobile broadband, so it's a plug in dongle as I don't have actual broadband/wifi.. I don't think it's the 3 network as my mobile phone is with them and the internet on that seems fine..

Any ideas gratefully appreciated, and happy new year! :D

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I have the same problem. Following some advice on another forum, I unplugged the USB harddrive and keyboard, and the external monitor, I had attached, and the speed is now back to normal.

No idea why this made a difference, but now I'm going to try selectively reconnecting peripherals and see if I can figure out which one is the culprit. Seems silly if a notebook can't be used with peripherals, though. :confused:

(I may also be worth noting, my Magic Mouse and Trackpack are still connected via Bluetooth, and don't seem to have an adverse effect on internet performance).