Internet Very, Very Slow/Incomplete Page Loads

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Recalcitrantron, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Recalcitrantron macrumors newbie

The Computers:

MacPro 2008 dual quad core and MacBookPro 2.66 mid 2009 both running OS 10.5.8.

The Problem:

The Mac Pro which is hard wired is very very slow and many times will time out before it can load a page or will only load part of the page (lots of little boxes with question marks in them or page loads part of the way and stops)and the wheel just keeps spinning. Sometimes I can hit the x and reload and it will work just fine. Sometimes, this does not help. The MacBook Pro which is wireless behaves the same way.

The Internet Set Up:

DSL line runs from wall to Surewest (ISP) router, then out to a 5 port Dlink switch. From the switch I run straight into the Mac Pro and to the Airport Express. The Airport Express is about 2.5 years old. It runs b/g while the MacBook Pro has draft N capability. I noticed that since I replaced my older MacBook Pro which was b/g, the new one shows a much stronger signal, which is why I can't understand why its slower.

The Testing:

I don't think its my ISP because when I run speedtest.net, I get what I always get, 3mb/s download and I have run that test many, many times over the last few days. The only change has been in the ping. It used to be consistently 16-17 ms and now it varies going as high as 24-26 ms. I have no clue if that is indicative of a problem. Data downloads, including iTunes work just fine.

Potential Culprit:

The only other change was that this weekend, I downloaded xmarks (formerly foxmarks) to unify and coordinate my bookmarks across both computers. I have since run the xmarks uninstaller on both machines and deleted the online account. However, it has not made any difference.

Attempted Solutions:

I already rebooted the Airport Express and changed the channel from auto to a higher number. No effect.

Other Possible Solutions:

I will reboot the ISP modem tonight.

I am also considering uninstalling and reinstalling Safari with the thought that xmarks somehow screwed it up, but I also had the problem in Firefox in which I did not install xmarks. If I pull the Safari bookmark.plst file before I uninstall Safari, I should be able to just drop it in to the fresh install and keep my bookmarks.

Someone suggested that I switch to Open DNS. This is beyond my area of expertise so to speak, so I am a little afraid to mess with it. If one of you wouldn't mind giving me a more complete explanation and instructions, I would appreciate it.

Any other thoughts, advice or things to try? Thanks for the assistance.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

If you're just using the two computers remove the 5 port switch and connect the Airport Express directly. Plug in the Mac Pro to an RJ 45 port on it and see what happens.

If you have other computers plugged in to the switch check what capacity they are running at and how many programs are running in the background. That could slow things down dramatically.

These are just suggestions.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you have loaded FireFox disable IPv6 (last part is just double click the preference to toggle)

See if that speeds up the loading of web pages, and prevents the stalls.

4. Recalcitrantron thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no other computers connected, but sometimes I connect the MacBook directly if I need to move a lot of data.

I do not recall there being 2 ethernet ports on the express. Just one for the input unless I am mistaken.

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Sorry about that. I was picturing the base station.

Still you can try connecting directly to the ISP's router, and also compare the MacBookPro via a hotspot somewhere nearby.
    I've isolated device problems this way before, by pulling out individual links one at a time and seeing what happens.

6. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Thanks for the link. :)

That seemed to help out a lot.

7. Recalcitrantron thread starter macrumors newbie

I cleaned out all of the caches, cookies and other junk from Safari, disabled IPv6 and switched to open DNS on both the Mac Pro and the Macbook Pro and things are running much faster now. Thanks.