Internet videos?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lightnin Rick, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Lightnin Rick macrumors member

I would like to know what the lowest processor speed of a PC that you can watch streaming videos thru the net that keeps up with audio and video at the same time.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Depends on the video really. For standard definition, I'd say 1GHz would be the absolute minimum.

3. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Also depends highly on format (flash, quicktime or wmv). I know anything HD my 1.8G5 would choke on if it was flash. If it was quicktime (.wmv too) it would play alright.

4 HD flash movies at once in 1 browser is the limit on the 2009 quads.

4. Illicit macrumors 6502

my P3 733MHz streams video and audio from megavideo with no problem. 768 MB of ram.

5. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

my g4 with 500 Mhz processor streams youtube, cnn, and espn SD just fine.

6. TrapOx macrumors 6502

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ok, I guess I was wrong.

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah. My Pentium Pro 100 MHz CPU handles everything just fine. Stereo Audio and YouTube HQ sized videos all day long without breaking a sweat.

I would say the absolute minimum CPU requirements is around 33 MHz ~ 66 MHz.

Also my Amiga 68040 40 MHz can play 1 hour streams from youtube and and GoogleVideo without too much trouble. A little lag sometimes...

So if the CPU is decoding everything then I guess minimum specs are right around there. However in both the Amiga and the Pentium Pro's case there's a video card involved that assists with decoding.