Internet weirdness on Xserve

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by yadmonkey, Mar 5, 2009.

1. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

First the specs:

2.8 GHz Quad Xserve (early 2008)
    10.5.6 Server unlimited
    2GB RAM
    Cisco 2801 Router

I can't get to the web on this Xserve and I'm befuddled. All of the important internet services work - file sharing works on the local network and I can even get in from an external network via SFTP. But you can't get to the internet on it - not in Safari, not in Firefox, not even Software Update can see the web. Every other machine connected to the same router gets full internet without issue.

There are no proxy settings. I'm not sure how far back this problem goes, but it's possible that the internet broke during the update to 10.5.6. Certainly wasn't before that, since I downloaded that update on the Xserve itself.

I'm at a loss and would very much appreciate any advice.

-Monkey

2. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

Sounds like it's an issue with your nameservers.

3. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Can you traceroute outside? Does nslookup work? What happens if you try to telnet to port 80 of some webserver?

4. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Thanks to you both for your feedback. Indeed it does seem like a nameserver issue, but every other computer on our network is fine with those nameserver addresses.

I can't telnet to port 80 on a webserver and traceroute/nslookup aren't working either. I can get into the server via SFTP or ARD from off network.

I'm pretty green in this area so take this with a grain of salt, but here's one thing which stands out to me... in the server's DNS field there's a grayed-out entry for our old server first in the list. That old server isn't in use anymore and I don't know why it's there and why it can't be removed.

The more I think about it, the more I think this goes back to the 10.5.6 update, so I'm thinking about restoring to our 10.5.5 backup and then skipping right to 10.5.7 when that's released.

Again, thanks for your input - any more ideas would be most welcome!