Internet "weirdness"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nabby, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Nabby macrumors regular

Not sure if this is related to my OS or not, as I only have Macs at home to test. Since yesterday, I've had intermittent issues connecting to some websites, MacRumors included. When I open the "Activity" window, I see that the file not loading is either an ad.doubleclick.net link or some javascript (.js) file. It is not consistent, as sometimes I access this site fine sometimes and not others.

I've rebooted everything involved, the cable modem, the router and 3 Macs. Two of the Macs are running 10.5.8 and the other is running 10.6.x (latest update, don't know the number right now).

The router is a WRT54GL running the dd-wrt frimware, which I flashed last night in an attempt to resolve this issue. That had no effect on my issue.

If anyone can offer suggestions, it would be appreciated! I've been going bonkers trying to figure this one out...

Thanks.

Nabby

2. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

I too have been having problems with certain websites. Google and MacRumors can take over a minute to load sometimes. I reset my cable modem and my Airport Extreme with no luck. The strange thing is the icon shortcuts for these two sites on the Dock keep disappearing and will not stay on the Dock. I made new shortcuts but it doesn't help. This is happening on both my Macs. :confused: MC

3. Nabby thread starter macrumors regular

MC,

I noticed you are in Florida as well. I'm in the Orlando area, using Brighthouse RR for my cable modem service. Who is your provider?

I hooked up my Sprint MiFi device and haven't see the same issues, but there are still some items not opening. For this post, the activity window shows cancelled for 2 items from pixel.quantserver.com. At least they errored out, if the ad.doubleclick.net doesn't load, the MR page won't even load for me.

If anyone figures out something, please share.

Nabby

4. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

I've had the exact same problem last year. I've tried everything you guys did, it drove me nuts. It turned out that the problem was my internet provider (Verizon). Even technician experienced the same problem on his laptop when he came to troubleshoot. He spent about forty minutes on the phone with his people doing all kinds of tests and couldn't fix it. He said they will be working on finding out what causes this and left. About a week later the problem disappeared.

5. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Central Florida Brighthouse is my provider. This has been going on since Christmas Day. Maybe RR cant handle all the users. MC

6. Nabby thread starter macrumors regular

MC,

I guess I'm going to call it in. I think that it started either Christmas day or the day after for me.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nabby

7. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

8. Nabby thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You!

Thanks for finding that. I don't feel quite as bad about wasting so much time and not being able to figure it out!

Nabby

9. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

I was going to go to Best Buy and exchange the Airport Extreme I bought last weekend. Im glad I saw that article. MC

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It's not just the Orlando RR ... I'm over near Disney and have my Brighthouse from Tampa and have the same problems.

11. Nabby thread starter macrumors regular

Issue Resolved

For what it is worth, the issue appears to be resolved. There were lots of posts from some site I tracked down from the WFTV article, and towards the end, people are indicating it appears resolved.

All surfing seems working well for me. Just wish I hadn't spent 4 hours last night troubleshooting and coming up empty!

Nabby

12. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Hey Nabby,
    I wasted a lot of time also trying to troubleshoot what was going on. To top it off, MobileMe went offline today for a while. I guess things could be worse, like a hurricane or tornado. Time to count our blessings. MC