Internet (wireless) incredibly slow on macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tim018, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Tim018 macrumors regular

aight, so heres my issue

about a month ago i purchased a macbook pro 2.53 15" refurb and i have loved everything about it except one thing, and that is the wireless internet speed. when i run a speed check (2wire.com, speedtest.net) it comes out about the same as my old toshiba pc, around 1.2 mbps. However, when i go to load an actual webpage on my mac, it take about 30-45 seconds to be able to even use the page, and it finishes loading upwards around one minute, while my old toshiba pc on the same exact network takes only seconds to load a webpage. Web videos are unwatchable sometimes, and other times it barely keeps them buffered (such as youtube and hulu). i have had this issue pretty much since i received my mac and it came with 10.5.5 which i upgraded to 10.5.7 as soon as i received it. I have tried to browse the web on my mac with both the latest version of safari 4, ff 3.1x + 3.5x.

usually, if i reset the entire network it will work, for a few minutes at full speed, and then it will bog down back to an unusable speed. we have about 3 or 4 other laptop pcs in the house that all work on the network perfectly with no issue at all, the only one in the house with an issue on the network is my new mac. with other testing i have found that this network issue is only on osx too, it works just fine through bootcamp running w7 and vista.

i contacted apple care about they have worked me through some stuff but to no avail, and i have read up about this everywhere also to no avail...here is the stuff that i have tried with no success of making it work:

-adjust firewall settings
    -change network security from wep 128 to wpa
    -add new dns servers
    -run a ping test which came back 100% successful
    -clear permissions
    -zap pram
    -changed service order
    -reset entire network/deleat airport and add it back in
    -erase library/prefs/sysconfig/ the airport prefs, network interfaces.plist, network identification...all which were recreated at bootup like they were supposed to
    -and many other things that i cannot prob even think of right now...the few people i did talk to at apple care were completely stumped by the problem and we never did find a solution

anyways, if anyone could give me some help on this that would be great. i am having to reset the internet every time i want to even use it. currently i am on a dsl quest 1 mb internet that works great for everything else in the house including my ipod touch and bootcamp, but not on the osx side of my mac. also it works fine at my work over eathernet, so its my belief that it is a serious issue with the airport only on the mac side. i bought this computer to try to get away from some of the crappy driver issues that my aging toshiba had, now i am regretting my purchase and thinking i should find a way to go back to a pc just because of how unusable this thing is. if anyone could give me help or advice taht would be great...the really only thing i havent tried is a complete reinstall of osx, which i am reluctant to do just because if i remember right the internet wasnt all that great when i first got it.

anyways, thanks in advance

Tim

2. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

All I can say is welcome to the club. So my only help is that you are not alone. Have three macs here. Two run perfectly well on wireless, the third doesn't Intermittent. Slows to a crawl. I gave up and used wired.

3. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I have you tried a hard wire connection to see if there is a difference?

I have had the same issues here in Southern CO, I bitch to the internet provider and it always ends up being a problem on their servers and not on my iMac. I have all full bars in my wireless situation also.

Everything works great in my wireless situation, except watching videos. All pages load more than quickly though with the latest update to Safari.

4. Tim018 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it works fine over a hard wire connection...i use that at my work and its great, its just at home over wireless that i have the issue. And im pretty sure i have the latest version of safari...i updated my ff to 3.5.1 today and that didnt seem to make much difference :/ thanks for the reply though...