internet without wifi on laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Alleyoop, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Alleyoop macrumors member

I will be out of town for 2 weeks and staying in a place with no access to wifi. However, I need to still run my online business. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to access the internet? I have Sprint right now. I was thinking of tethering to a cell phone; though I don't know if you can buy a data plan for just one month and also how reliable that is. I know there are devices that allow you to access internet anywhere by creating a personal hotspot I believe, but a quick online search showed (all the ones I found anyway) they all required 2 year contracts. I am assuming I need something that accesses a 3G network?

I have a Powerbook G4 10.4.11. If necessary I could use a newer MacBook Pro with Leopard, or even drag along Mac Mini with Leopard. I also have an iPod Touch if that could help in any way.

I know I could find out all this info myself; but I don't have hours to research right now, so any tips in the right direction would be great!

Thanks great people!

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You will need a 3G data card. You can then share your internet connection with other devices if you wanted to.

Keep in mind data is expensive, so don't download excessively. Hotel internet would be significantly cheaper as they charge by time, not by data.

Data cards with contracts have been subsidized, so you will need to get an unsubsidized card if you don't want a contract. Go to your Sprint store and ask if they have such an offering.

4. uunio macrumors newbie

Shared PC Connection

This is probably an old thread but I'm going to say what I have to say and ask my questions anyway. This is my first time posting but, I have read that you can plug your iPod Touch into your computer, if that computer is set up with a wired internet connection and share it's internet connection without WiFi.

Every single time I posted else where no one could explain to me how this could be done with XP or VISTA (or a mac, even though I don't have one of those.) Usually all I would get is "go get a wireless card", which is 100% not an option where I am.

I too would like to share my computers internet connection with my iPod Touch, wired, through the usb connection already available for charging my iPod Touch anyway.

I'd like no feedback stating go buy this, go buy that. Wireless is not an option at all at my work. Let's pretend that I work for the government in security and I would go to prison or executed for treason if I tried to set up a wireless connection (even bluetooth) of any kind. So working from that theory, how would I share my computer's internet connection with my iPod Touch? I saw a jailbroken Cydia program that allows your computer to share your iPod Touch's connection, but the process seems to be next to impossible when reversing that.

Any assistance would be fantastic. I know there has to be some geeky folks out there who can explain this to me step by step for both vista and xp, in detail, in an email to boy@woh.rr.com.

Yes I know that the internet connection would still be going through my company and they could see everything blah blah blah, that's not the point. I want internet for my ipod touch, through a wired work computer, which has magical technology that forbids all wireless connections from existing.

Thank you in advance!

Jonathan