Internet won't stay connected for more than 5 minutes!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JonathanWarrick, Mar 25, 2009.

1. JonathanWarrick macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just got my refurb MacBook the other day--went through the setup process and got up and running, but unfortunately my internet won't stay connected for more than a few minutes, and when it is connected, it is super slow!

Just some background information that's hopefully helpful. My internet has never been great--if all three of my roommates were all using our laptops or if I was downloading something for a while, I would sometimes get kicked off and have to restart my router. Speaking of which, I'm using the wireless obviously through a Linksys router. While the disconnections on my old laptop happened infrequently, I literally can't stay on the internet for more than 10 minutes with my MacBook.

Any suggestions? I really want to use my MacBook, but without the internet, it's pretty much just sitting there and I'm forced to use my 4-year-old, dying HP. Thanks in advance!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Sounds like you need a new router to start with.

Also, try changing the router's channel setting, as you may be taking interference from a 2.4Ghz cordless phone, or a neighbor's WiFi network.

3. tman07 macrumors regular

you could look at getting a new router, or i would suggest loading up ddwrt on your router (assuming its compatible). I revived an old, dyeing dell router (i know, i know) with ddwrt. stable as ever, even with the settings cranked up a bit :)

Also, my roommate had that issue. He ended up taking it to apple and after many trips, they (what i believe) reinstalled the operating system and everything was better. His was a blackbook, maybe yours is similar?

best of luck!