Internet works on other computers but not on Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by StefaanF, Sep 19, 2011.

1. StefaanF macrumors newbie

Hi, after an electricity problem my Imac won't make connection to the internet anymore. My macbook and a Toshiba PC still do.

The Imac finds the network but says there's been a time-out while trying to make the connection.

I called the helpdesk of the internetprovider but they said everything works fine, after having tested the connection.

And of course they don't know anything about Mac...

Thanks for any help.

2. apw100 macrumors regular

Try turning off the iMac's WIFI, then unplug your router. Plug it back in then turn on the iMac's WIFI and connect to the network.
    Simple, but that fixed my issues when I had the same issue.

3. cbrohm macrumors newbie

iMac loses connection to internet

I have my iMac set up wirelessly and it has been losing its connection after it wakes up. Very Annoying. I know that it isn't a network problem because I have several other wireless devices that never lose connection.

The most annoying part is that I can't just select my network, I have to powercycle my modem and router to get the computer to reconnect.

I know that we did have some power transformer issues a while back, I don't know if the timing corresponds, but it might.

I will try the suggested fix.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I have had tons of problems with my 2011 iMac connecting wirelessly. Thankfully I can use ethernet easily. Several other wireless devices including a couple of MBP's and other iDevices have no problems.

5. cbrohm macrumors newbie

Same with me

mine is a 2011 iMac too! and I have a MBP that doesn't have issues and I have an iphone, ipad and 2 other computers that connect wirelessly without problems.

6. cbrohm macrumors newbie

I did what was suggested - turning wireless off on the iMac and then powercycling the router and then turning the wireless back on.

Now whenever my computer comes awake, it doesn't automatically connect to the network, but I can select my network and it connects (where it would before give me the error).

7. leman macrumors 604

There is a known problem with 2011 iMac and WiFi stability which involves a buggy driver in Lion. But it seems that this problem has been addressed with the 10.7.3 - after updating my WiFi works stable (previously, it would drop every 15 minutes or so).

8. cbrohm macrumors newbie

lion update

My Mac doesn't say I have any software updates - is this something I have to do manually? sorry if that is a dumb question

9. leman macrumors 604

What is your current OS X version (use "about this mac")? Usually it should notify you bout the updates automatically...

10. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

A couple of things to try. First try restting the PRAM on the iMac. If that does not work open the keychain assitant and find the entry for you network, deleted it. Close the keychain assitant and connect o your network again.

11. cbrohm macrumors newbie

I looked up how to reset the PRAM:

To reset your computer’s PRAM:
    1.Shut down the computer.

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until the computer restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

5.Release the keys.

Resetting PRAM may change some system settings and preferences. Use System Preferences to restore your settings.

12. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Resetting the PRAM will not erase your network settings.

13. cbrohm macrumors newbie

I have the newest version of iOS

Then why'd you ask me to reset the pram?

I have the most up-to-date iOS

14. camardelle macrumors 6502

Mine has always dropped the wifi connection when it went to sleep, but it picks it up within a few seconds of waking up. I just thought this was nomal. It is annoying but not a deal breaker for me.

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

iOS is for your mobile devices...Not your iMac. OS X 10.7.3 is what you want. You would have had to upgrade to it within the last week or so. Check "About my Mac" to see what version you are running.

I had a problem with a wireless printer not being recoginized more then once in a while. It was very annoying. But since I have installed 10.7.3, it seems the problem is gone. I have an APE base station and just upgraded the utilities as well and now everything seems to be working great...In fact, I love the dumbed-down 6.0. :)

The OS X Lion v10.7.3 Update includes Safari 5.1.3 and fixes that:

■Add Catalan, Croatian, Greek, Hebrew, Romanian, Slovak, Thai, and Ukrainian language support
    ■Address issues when using smart cards to log into OS X
    ■Address compatibility issues with Microsoft Windows file sharing
    ■Address an issue printing Microsoft Word documents that use markup
    ■Address a graphics performance issue after sleep on some earlier iMacs that use ATI graphics
    Resolve a Wi-Fi connection issue when waking from sleep
    ■Address an issue that may prevent Safari from opening before joining a wireless network
    ■Fix a potential issue authenticating to an SMB DFS share
    ■Include RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras

16. camardelle macrumors 6502

That's good news. I will be looking at updating the os on my iMac soon. I did my mbp earlier today. Thanks!