Internet works on PC but not Mac??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by purplepineapple, Jun 17, 2012.

1. purplepineapple macrumors newbie

Hi,

I own a white macbook (newest version) and everything was fine until, suddenly, I can no longer connect to my wifi internet at home after waking it from sleep mode. The internet works on two PCs at home (one desktop and one laptop) and airport goes from either "not connected" to "no IP address" to "Self-Assigned IP" (?)

I am not very tech savvy but have tried the following:
    -restarting router
    -restarting computer
    -deleting/adding Airport
    -firewall is off
    -resetting PRAM

This sounds silly but I haven't been able to see if I can connect to a different network because I have to remain mainly at home for the time being.

I would appreciate any help! I've tried scouring the internet, to no avail. (Also, my apologies if this isn't the right section)

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

You're in the right section.

Have you tried plugging an ethernet cable into the Mac and see if it will work with a wired connection?

Sometimes figuring out what DOES work can help determine what's wrong.

3. purplepineapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a connection using ethernet, either. Hm...

4. purplepineapple thread starter macrumors newbie

So I took my mac to the apple store, where the wifi there worked perfectly fine. They set up a new wifi location (other than automatic) for me to try and also a new account name. They also ran a system diagnostic test and everything came up fine.

However, back at home wifi continues to not work. I have no idea what to do!

5. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I'd do a hard reset on the router, after you've written down all the ISP settings that you need to reconnect it to the internet.

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

This won't help. If your not tech savvy will most likely make more issues.

7. donald.t macrumors newbie

I think there is some problem with your wireless router.
    I would suggest you to check its firewall settings, may be possible you get some solution from here.