Internship questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hylekmi, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Hylekmi macrumors regular

Hey guys, I am looking for an internship and I am running into issues getting call backs. I went to the career center at my university and they helped me redo my resume. I have applied to about 20 corporations for a technology internships and I only had one interview. When I emailed my interviewer 3 weeks later he never emailed me back. I was wondering if you guys know any other ways to get internships or maybe make my resume stand out so I can at least get an interview.

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

What is your degree, and what positions are you applying for?

3. Hylekmi thread starter macrumors regular

Im working towards a Network Technology degree and im applying for almost anything related to technology. Mostly Help desk type jobs though.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

One callback out of 20 isn't so bad.

It's an employer's market out there. Many don't want to hire a fresh graduate when they can have a seasoned veteran for not too much more money.

I do agree it's a good idea to retool your resume, but keep at it. Sooner or later something will turn up for you.

5. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I wouldn't despair too much. As mentioned, it's a employer's market right now. I know my company posted two positions and got over 200 applicants and going over the resumes, there are a TON of qualified people out there looking for jobs. Add in recent graduates and you can see that there are a lot more workers than there are jobs.

I think you made a good move going to your university. There should be a career center that helps alumni look for jobs, help with resumes and such. You paid into the university so you might as well use that service. Do they hold any career events where companies come in and look for interns? I got my first intern gig (Intel) at my undergrad university.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

Timing is also bad. I bet most companies posted summer applications around March/April, did interviews around April/May, and started May/June. If your university is on a quarter system and just got out - should have gone hunting sooner.

I mean it's mid June. People are going to start filling fall internships to start around mid/late August, so probably will start posting and taking applications in a month.

The thing is your free labor isn't as much of an appeal now that there's endless fellow undergrads, even some grad school people, graduated and unemployed 20-somethings, and random people settling for (un)paid internships more than ever before. So finding an internship is nearly the same as finding a paying professional job now in some instances.

7. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I got an internship at the National Weather Service this summer by attending a conference in March. I initially volunteered to help register people in the conference, so it was an easy way to network. I ended up getting an "in" without needing a resume. It's an unpaid internship for the summer but I can't wait to start! My recommendation to you is try to attend network technology workshops/seminars and start getting your name out there!

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

Is that a 4 year or 2 year degree, and what kind of university is it from?

9. Hylekmi thread starter macrumors regular

Im working toward a 4 year degree from DePaul University in chicago.

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Agreed on the timing, it's a bad time to be looking for summer internships, and maybe a bit early for school year internships.

The time between the end of the school year and the July 4th weekend is particularly bad, from what I see.

I'd also agree 1 out of 20 is actually not bad at all.

11. lwood1 macrumors 6502

Most internships require you to be enrolled in school. If you have already graduated, sign up for one class and then send your resume again.

Always works best to go in person too.

12. nohaver macrumors member

I landed both of my internships through my university's career fair. These are usually held bi-annually; early spring and late fall. It's important to note that many of the big tech corporations recruit interns in the fall because their interview process is quite extensive and usually includes an on-site visit. My advice would be to plan well ahead when trying to lock one of these down. Also, attend any on-campus information sessions put on by companies of interest. It pays dividends to shake a few hands and become a recognizable face.