Internship

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vong, May 21, 2011.

1. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

im planning on doing internship next summer and i have a few questions bout it (my major is MIS *MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS);

- is interning like an actual job? or are you just job shadowing someone
    - are you supposed to get paid?
    - how much knowledge am i supposed to have under my belt?
    ~ i currently have programming knowledge, microsoft office knowledge, going to have a few more coming up this fall.

if you have any experience or some tips it'll be helpful too :eek:

also, i am looking around (using my uni's hiring link and came across this)

i guess what my question is whats the difference of this from an internship? i thought internship you just follow someone and see what they do and etc. it normally lasts for a few weeks and if they like you, they'll hire you and/or refer you to someone else to hire you after you graduate from college.

but from the description, this looks like a part-time job or something

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

Depends a lot on the company. A lot of larger companies will have intern programs where you spend the summer or a semester working. Lots of variation company to company, but more or less you likely probably work with someone who is an advisor/boss/etc. Imo, if you do an internship and only job shadow you are really not doing an internship but more of an apprenticeship.

Experience required varies but in my experiences companies primarily look at your classification in school (sophmore, junior, senior, etc).

Some internships are paid - generally whether or not you get paid lines up with how well your future career pays, ie jobs which pay more fulltime (engineering, comp sci, etc) probably will pay for internships, whereas lower paying jobs might not (political science, graphic design, etc). This is a general case, you will find exceptions either way. Also varies country to country, I'm not sure if you are in the USA or not. Presumably since I thnk that's referring to Lincoln Nebraska.

I would not consider that an internship based on the description.

3. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

kk thanks, and yeah i've figured that shouldn't be an internship since it seems too much like a part time job / real life job

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

When I was an intern in 1999 (at Goldman Sachs in London) I was expected to do a normal job. I was given a workstation and a project that had to be completed in the 10 weeks I was there. The project was in a language I had never programmed in on a platform I had never used (neither had anyone else in team I was working in either). I was expected to stand on my own two feet, learn for myself and deliver. In addition I was exposed to some of the traders as some of the systems I was working with were essentially unsupported so I had to step in and help solve some production issues that were loosing us money by the second the systems were not operating.

For this I was paid £400 a week (about $640 a week at the time).

5. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

darn, i'll try it out though, hopefully i wont do too bad or something

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

An internship is pretty much a job -- except that it's usually undertaken by students for a specified period of time (not long term employment). There's no reason to be nervous about it.

7. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

the only thing i'm nervous about is actually messing up on the job / not having enough MIS knowledge. my UNI requires 7 classes out of the MIS field + other stuff to receive a BACH degree in MIS. i only got 1 down so far. so maybe... 4 by the time next summer rolls around.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is the kind of internship I'm aiming for. I have to tweak my resume though. Sadly I keep getting people looking for IT stuff (since thats what my background is in) verses programming and development internships (which is what I am applying for).