Interrupted update on iPhone 4- won't turn on

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by budge9, May 15, 2012.

1. budge9 macrumors member

My sister was updating her iPhone when she got spooked by the update (thinking it was a virus! -stupid I know!) so she turned her phone off. Now the iPhone won't boot up and it's also not being recognized on her laptop. The white apple with black background will appear but it then slowly turns white and stays like that until I try to turn it off. She's tried her sim card in another phone and only half the contacts show up (A-J) - does this mean the sim card is corrupt or just that it ran out to room to save her contacts to her iPhone?

Any ideas? I'm desperate and any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll have to put the iPhone into DFU mode and restore it in iTunes. This will erase all data, settings, and media that is on it. You will be able to restore it from a backup either a local one on iTunes or an iCloud backup once it is done restoring.

3. budge9 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

She hasn't got iCloud and I doubt she's backed it up to her macbook for ages. How do I put it in DFU mode?

----------

I looked up how to put it in DFU mode but it's still not starting up or showing on iTunes. This symbol just shows up on it periodically that it's running out of battery but I plugged it in a little while ago so it should have plenty.

Anybody have any other ideas? Please I'm desperate!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the battery is dead, leave it plugged in to the computer for a few hours to charge. Then put it into DFU mode. Getting it into DFU mode is tricky, but is is possible.