Interrupting Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dslynch, Aug 27, 2008.

1. dslynch macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2008
    Hi there...

I bought time capsule (1tb) yesterday, and it's been working since last night to backup 916,977 items (96.37GB). It's at 35.81GB right now.

The issue is that I need to leave in about 45 minutes, so there's no way it will be done. Will it cause a problem if I interrupt that backup? Do I just walk away with my macbook and then come back, and it will pick up where it left off? Or do I need to manually stop the process?

2. Bernie Anderson macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2008
    Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
    My experience has been that it seems to pick right back up where it left off. I haven't had any issues with interruptions.

Someone with more technical prowess may know better, however.
  3. gwsat macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2008
    The only no-no would be that you should never stop a backup once it has started backing up files because doing so could corrupt your sparse bundle. It is OK to cancel during the Preparing to Backup stage, however. I have never put my MacBook Pro to sleep while a backup was going on, so I cannot comment on the OP's specific question.
  4. Batt macrumors 65816

Dec 17, 2007
    Syracuse, NY
    Stop backing up, do what you have to do and then erase the TC and start over, but do the initial backup via ethernet - not wirelessly. 35GB takes a couple of hours, not overnight, via ethernet.