Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hnzxdv

Mar 28, 2010
If you aren't afraid of putting modified firmware on your camera, Magic Lantern is a nice (free) alternative. The intervalometer functionality is built into the firmware, so there's no need for any external device. I've used it and it works pretty well.

On a side note, the firmware also unlocks a whole bunch of features and options that you wouldn't normally have access to using Canon's official firmware. I'm pretty sure it voids the manufacturer warranty though.

Here's a link to the wikia if you're interested:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D

edubs

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Yup, this. I had one for my t2i and my 7D (different plugs). You can also use your laptop and the supplied software but I don't really like doing that personally.

I know it's a little late to jump in on this thread but I would like to know which cables you used to get the calculator to work with the 7D and where you got them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I know it's a little late to jump in on this thread but I would like to know which cables you used to get the calculator to work with the 7D and where you got them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If you are using an intervalometer made for the 7D it has the proper connection. But if you want to use your laptop, you use the USB cable that comes with the camera along with the software and you are able to control it remotely that way.

So for a t2i it's only USB. For the 7D it is either the designated times cable or you can use the USB with the canon software on your machine. Hope that made sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.