Intimidated by iPhone SDK :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kaitlyn2004, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Kaitlyn2004 macrumors member

I'm a programmer but have no experience with mac/cocoa... and I set up my mac tonight and to be honest was intimidated/lost. Does anyone have any links/tips to help ease myself in?

I'd love to create something like dragging an image/object to another location...

Any help is appreciated!

2. markgamber macrumors 6502

I'd recommend you download some of the sample apps on Apple's dev site. Compile them and single-step thru them with the debugger. That is the fastest way for me to get a grip on what's going on in any OS. I also bought a book "Cocoa Programming For Mac OS" by Aaron Hillegass. It's for Mac OS X, not the iPhone, but they're close enough that you can get a pretty good idea of what's going on. The book also goes into the Objective C language (which is a lot more like java or C# than C) and the almost nonsensical Interface Builder.

Per the sample apps, here's a hint...the interesting part of the app starts with the *Delegate.m/.h files.

Good luck! :)

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

What I did was setup the Objective C code to call my C functions to create my C++ classes, and then used OpenGL for everything. That way I didn't have to lean more than just the basics of Objective C, and much of that I could crib from the demos :)

4. Greencardman macrumors 6502

There's also an iPhone programming forum here on MacRumors where I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to help you out with any questions you have. They're a nice bunch. :)