Int'l Roaming w/Cellular iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Domino8282, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Can someone with experience using a cellular iPad overseas (preferably a 3rd Gen. AT&T LTE model) comment on how the international roaming works? There's a place on Apple's website where it says:

"If you want a local connection when you’re traveling, just pop in a local SIM card."

Is that as easy as it sounds with a cellular iPad?

Reason I ask - I'm getting an LTE iPad Mini (AT&T). I realize that it won't work with the LTE networks in Europe, but what can I expect as far as 3G service? Will I have to get a nano-SIM in the country I go to? What would the prices be like for "roaming" with AT&T's international 3G partners on a tablet? If you do get a local nano-SIM, do you have to jailbreak the iPad or is it SIM-unlocked?

Thanks!

2. Baggio macrumors 6502

Roaming = using your AT&T SIM to access data on foreign carrier. You can either pay by the kb, which is expensive or pre-purchase an international data plan package.

You can also get a local SIM card. Specific data plans or prepaid depends on carrier/country. You may or may not be able to get a Nano-SIM. It is carrier/country specific as well. But, you can buy a SIM cutter on Amazon for around $10. You can cut a regular SIM or a Micro-SIM to Nano-SIM size.