intriguing intel cpu price tag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MR.BUTTON, Aug 12, 2012.

1. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

hi guys,
    i was browsing on intel's official website, and found that the ivy bridge chips that macbook pros use, i7-3620qm and i7-3615qm are priced the same, both at $378. but on apple store there's a $100 difference. is apple trying to make extra profits or intel has made a mistake?

2. minnus macrumors 6502

Some processors will be the same price because they are essentially the same chip. If you look at the chips with the $378 price tag, you would see that all specs are the same except for speed. It cost Intel no more or less to set the multiplier for varying speeds.

What does Apple pay? No idea - probably a lot less than $378. Either way, it certainly does not cost Apple $100 to 'upgrade'.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Those are the wholesale prices, but I think some of the prices have to be erroneous. Apple probably pays less, but I don't know if it would be "a lot" less. Intel has to turn a profit too

But apple isn't the only one that charges for that upgrade. Alienware charges even more iirc

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I wouldnt say they are errenous when there is actually a drawback to the higher clock version - extra heat dissipation

5. terraphantm, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

terraphantm macrumors 68040

3610, 3615, and 3720 are all 45W parts and all 3 are listed at the same price. 3610 has lower GPU clocks than both and is missing some virtualization features. 3615 has lower clocks (CPU and GPU) than the 3720. In the past, Intel always charged more for the higher clocked parts, even if the silicon was identical (which it is in the majority of cases). The price difference wasn't always large, but usually you'd see at least a few dollars different. So how is it illogical to think there may be an error in that list? Moreover, how the hell does that make me a fanboy?

My bringing up other manufacturers was just to further show there is likely a price difference in reality. Apple is known to keep enormous profit margins, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them charge for a free upgrade. Other companies aren't known to keep similar margins - so the fact that dell charges for the same upgrade is worth noting.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Chiiiill man. I didn't say it was illogical, nor did I mention "fan boys" (I hate cringy terms like this).

7. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Lol, some posts have disappeared here in a strange manner... I didn't know that the word 'fanboi' is now censored in this forum...

8. simsaladimbamba

It is not.
    Code:
    fanboy • fanboi
    It is just not liked that much, because it often gets used as insult or derogatory term.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Sorry about that - those last couple sentences were directed towards minnus and the other(s?) who called me a "fanboi" for offering a possible explanation for the price discrepancy.

10. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

It is quite subjective to decide whether someone used the word as a derogatory term or not... In my case, I didn't. Was someone able to read in my mind?...

It is easier to use that fancy word to describe a person's devotion and unconditional love to a brand, product,... etc. For me, a person that shows susceptibility to critics toward its favorite brand or firm falls in that category...

Anyway, some people here are lacking a sense of humor... For those worried about being or not fanbois, here is a test... :D

11. minnus macrumors 6502

My comment - which you know what it is, was made because you felt it necessary to make a comment such that it dampens any negative implications of ... you guessed it, Apple.

There were no 'attacks' on Apple. The mere suggestion that a comment could be taken negatively, caused you to contribute to this thread by basically saying "Na uh - It Intel's fault... LOOK at Alienware's more expensive upgrade options."

Typically, when someone makes certain jumps in logic to create defenses for 'something', that person is fanatic about 'something'.