Intro & Prob

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by johzen, Jun 12, 2011.

1. johzen macrumors newbie

First I'd like to say hi to everyone :D , and thanks in advance to all the welcome messages :p .

Now I have a very big problem :( , all I wanted to do was install Windows XP SP3 in a Macbook :rolleyes: , so what I did was install rEFIt, boot my USB with WinXP SP3, the install ran smoothly :) .

After the installation my problem was not just I am missing a "hal.dll"(Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll):mad: I also ACCIDENTALLY removed the Mac OS because it was overwritten by the WinXP that I just installed :eek:.

So... I'm pretty sure the safest way to fix this is to bring back the Mac OS(which I don't know how), but the person who's gonna use this Macbook is a person who doesn't know how to use Mac, so all he knows to use is Windows, for that person he'd prefer to erase Mac & have Windows installed in his macbook, well if it's possible to remove the Mac but keep the WinXP(running) well that'd be great... for him...

Sorry if it was very long but all I wanted to be was precise :)

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Welcome to the community.

I am pretty sure this can be done by just booting the MacBook with a windows cd in the drive, holding the C key once you hear the chime. You can then format the drive and install windows. I know this works on an iMac as I have done this before.

One installed you will need the OS X install DVD to install all the hardware drivers.

The only issue with any of this is the battery life will be nowhere near as good as it would be with OSX installed. Would Mac OS be to much of a learning curve for your friend, they could then use windows in a virtual machine?

3. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is I am using a bootable WinXP USB Installer, but I'll try the "C" key as you suggested, but I think the "C" key only boots from CD, I'm not sure if it'll boot from abootable USB, I'll try.

I've used the rEFIt to try and install WinXP, it reads the USB, but when I try to install in GUI mode, it shows the error of missing "hal.dll".

4. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the "C" Key, didn't work.

If I try to install WinXP in text mode, it install WinXP, but after the installation, the error missing "hal.dll" still shows up.

I've already partitioned the Hard Drive through BC, then pressed Quit & Install later after the partition.

The only problem now I think is my WinXP installer? or probably the situation that WinXP can't be installed through USB with MacBook(WaaaayOldMacBook2007).

5. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

If you are using a USB installed boot holding the option (alt) key. This boots to the OS X boot menu, showing all available media.

6. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but it doesn't show my WinXP USB when I press the alt/option key. I know how to use the key.

That's why I install rEFIt because Mac itself can't read my USB when I hold the alt/option/ key, now rEFIt can read it, but when I finish the installation in text mode it shows the missing "hal.dll" error.

When I use GUI mode, it doesn't start the installation, it immidiately shows the missing "hal.dll" error.

Is this the place where I should be? or a Windows forum?

Thanks in advanced & for the welcome too ^^

7. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Do you not have access to optical media for the install? I will test a USB install for you on my MacBook and see if it works, watch this space :)

8. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure about the access you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure I'm not able to boot on my USB without rEFIt, now I tried it once more to install WinXP through text mode install

& I greatly appreciate that you're trying to install an XP on your MacBook, just to help me. You're freakin awesome! :D

I was really hoping that more of the freakin awesome people would help me about this problem :p

9. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

BUMP it UP!

So have you tried it? how's your situation now?

10. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Well I tried installing Windows XP on to a bootcamp partition using a USB key made with Win2Flash and it worked no problems using a GUI install.

I also booted using the option key to select my USB media. I suggest re-doing your USB key using Win2Flash and removing refit for the time being. Let me know how you get on.

11. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

I used Win2Flash for my Bootable USB.

Hal.dll is still corrupted & missing.

I'll try once more with GUI mode, and if it doesn't work I will remove rEFIt.

The thing with Bootcamp it doesn't read my Bootable USB(Win2Flash)

12. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's my situation :

When I do Text Install, it's flawless.

But after Text Install, I can see that their is a Partition of Windows in the "alt/option" key, and in the rEFIt startup, and if I try to press on one of those it shows a Windows documentation... error.

And if I try to boot on my USB, it shows the Eee, but after the Eee it shows the Windows documentation error again.

Some say I have to reboot twice after the text installation, so what I do I go through the Windows partition & during the Eee, I press f8 and in the selection I press Reboot.

After the Reboot, it shows black but even if I wait 5-10 minutes it will only show Black. BTW I am using Macbook :\

Also if I remove rEFIt, the "alt/option" key doesn't read my Bootable USB(Win2Flash)

Thanks in advance for being an awesome person :]

13. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

Also when I check the Disk Utility, I see Mac OS X & disk0s3.

When I click Mac OS X, it's Mac OS Extended(Journal)
    disk0s3, it's Mac OS Extended(Journal), in the Volume Format.

From my past experience, I think disk0s3 is the Untitled partition in the desktop of my Mac, and the partition of Windows in the rEFIt/alt/option key startup.

& I think it should be NTFS, I think something went wrong during my text installation, there were 4 option

Convert to NTFS, that other 2 NTFS(Quick or not quick), & leave as it is. Which one should I choose? I chose the 2nd the "notquick"

14. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

15. biohead macrumors 6502

Do you not have any access to an XP install CD rather than USB? None at all?

16. johzen thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd say none, but I don't wanna be a Lier.

Yeah, but that would be my last resort.

17. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I have not been able to replicate your error. I have successfully installed both windows XP and 7 this way.

It sounds like a CD install would be best for you.