Introducing Food Inventory!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by tmiw, Dec 20, 2009.

1. tmiw macrumors 68000

From the makers of [app]Network Monitor[/app] comes the newest member of the iTunes App Store: [app]Food Inventory[/app]!

Do you buy more food than you can eat and let most of it go bad? Too busy with your day to day activities to keep track of what you can make with the food that you do have? Simply add the food item and its expiration date and let Food Inventory keep track of it! See the items you do have in expiration date order, and let Food Inventory perform an automated Google search for recipes and other ideas for using your leftover ingredients in your cooking.

Now retailing for US$0.99 in the App Store!

Screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

2. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Food Inventory 1.1 has just been released!

Changes:
    • Added quantity field for food items in list.

Stay tuned for more updates as they come out!

3. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Food Inventory 1.2's been released. Now including iPad support! :)

4. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Version 2.0 has now been released!

Changes:

• Added the ability to categorize food items
    • Added the ability to add custom categories
    As always, let me know if you have any questions. :)

5. jaknudsen macrumors member

jaknudsen

Looks very promising, but after reading the review on iTunes by Mike Lakas I have the same concerns as him:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/food-inventory/id346478170?mt=8

Do you have any plans to implement these ideas?

6. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

We take reviewer comments very seriously as they help improve the product for everyone. I'm currently looking into which of these can be added for the next release. :)

7. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Version 2.2 has been released!

New in this version:

• Added the ability to select category while adding a new food item.
    • Added ability to specify quantity units for food items.
    • Expiration dates now default to one week from current date.
    • Text boxes now capitalize the first letter by default.

8. Avetar macrumors newbie

I was thinking about keeping track of all the food I have by pen and paper but thought someone must have thought of this as an app.
    Tried out free versions and researched paid ones like this one. The others felt messy or just didn't suit how I wanted it to be.
    Only one other had the "expired" feature but the interface didn't appeal to me. "Less is more" is something I go by when
    buying most my stuff and "food inventory" works awesome in that way.

This thread is actually what made me buy it and I don't regret it, seems like you do care about improving it a lot. It has a permanent spot
    on my homescreen along with very few other app's, great work!

Just felt like telling you that and also ask about some things Iv'e thought about while using it :)

A few thoughts (highly subjective suggestions based on my own use).

1. "Categories" I don't have any use for the "uncategorized" and have deleted it a coule of times, but it appears again and again empty.

2. I believe many have said this and saw a comment here to, but being able to sync the list with someone else would be perfect,
    so if more than one person share the fridge they can note when they use or eat something. Than it will remain
    accurate and food won't be mysteriously gone when I / we need it.

3. Export/backup, if I would like to send a list to my computer, mail or another way that would be good and backup
    because I generally don't trust electronics, like having backup and good when planning dinner.

4. Don't believe this will happen, but similar to "2" it would be nice if it was possible to change the inventory from the computer to,
    but that's just because the one I'm sharing fridge with doesn't have any device (yet) to run this app
    (and I haven't seen any possibility for sync but wishing for it)

5. Profiles, instead of a long list with categories/status etc having for example one page just for
    "Fridge" and one just for "Food cabinet" or if I get more than one fridge (which I'm thinking about).

6. Remembering groceries, if I have typed in milk once and than deleted it because it's run out, when I resupply and wan't to add
    it again a nice thing would be if when I type "M" it will suggest all the things I typed in before with that letter.

7. The strawberry icon? It's not that I think it's that ugly but it doesn't get me the feel of what the app really is, the style of it,
    what it does. I almost overlooked this app because of it, thinking it was something "cheap and messy"
    I don't need (just sharing what my first impression was not bashing it to much ;))
    But lucky enough I like researching things that has potential more throughly, but for someone whose not looking for a specific app like
    I was might not take much notice in the sea of app's.

You might be way ahead with these things, but felt like it could be worth mentioning. The app is exactly what it needs to be for me,
    but the things Iv'e listened, would for me enhance the experience with it a lot.

ShopShop (shopping list) is btw a free app I use frequently along with this one and has a similar feel of ease working with so
    perfect combo and inspiration for some of the things I listened I would like in the app. Do believe this will never happen,
    but when something reaches zero it would have been awesome just to "export" that to a list in ShopShop with a simple click
    inside the program. It's not to bothersome quitting this app opening ShopShop and writing it in but that
    would have been awesome xD
    http://nschum.de/apps/ShopShop/

(Sorry for wall of text, if I start writing about something it's hard to quit..^^) /I]

9. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for your wonderful comments :) To respond to your requests:

This is currently by design, but I will look into perhaps hiding the categories on the main screen without any items assigned.

Syncing is actually high up on our priority list right now :) Just need to figure out the best way to do it such that we can add, say, a Web based interface for editing on the computer later.

This may be a possibility. We'll see if this is something that can possibly be added without cluttering up the interface.

I'll have to do more research on this one. It's possible we may not be able to do this due to the iOS SDK, but I don't know for sure.

Hehe :) We will look into possibly getting a better icon as well.

10. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Version 3.0 has now been released!

Features and fixes in this release:

• Added the ability to sync between multiple iOS devices! (To set this up, go here to register an account if you have not already done so, and then stop the app if it's running, go to the Settings app and enable sync/fill in your username and password under the "FoodInventory" section) :D
    As always, please let me know if you have any questions or problems. :)

11. jacketshen macrumors newbie

Hi

what it does. I almost overlooked this app because of it, thinking it was something "cheap and messy"

12. PWC macrumors newbie

Interesting app. I don't know how much time it really saves though...

13. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

We are always looking to improve the application, so any suggestions are welcome :)

14. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Food Inventory 3.1 has now been released! :D

Changes in this release:
    • Added a configuration option in the Settings app to quiet popup notifications.
    • Fixed wording on notification text.

15. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Food Inventory 3.2 has now been released! :D

Changes in this release:
    • Now shows creation/purchase date of food items.

16. CarletonTorpin macrumors member

This looks like a really cool app and the fact that the developer is actively updating the app based on user suggestions only increases it's value.

Have you thought of making a "Pro" version for small business and cafe's that may not have a dedicated inventory system for their food stock but still want to have an "at a glance" look at what they've got?

17. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Haven't considered that, but we were thinking of providing a Web based interface as well. A "shopping list" type feature in the app is a possibility as well. :)

18. Djfinn80 macrumors newbie

Suggested improvement

I thought when I purchased this app, it had the function of suggesting recipes with food items on inventory. Unfortunately it only looks up on google one item at a time. Is it possible to look up several or all items in inventory together?result would be recipe suggestions possible from items in cupboard

19. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Not at this time, but will definitely keep this in mind for future releases. Thanks for your suggestion!

20. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Food Inventory 4.0 has now been released!

Changes in this release:
    • Added a new "Shopping List" view on the main page that only shows food items that are about to or have expired. Useful for when you're at the market!

21. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Food Inventory 5.0 has now been released!

Changes in this release:
    • Added the ability to edit synchronization settings from within the app. No more having to exit out to go to iOS's Settings.app.
    • Alert box now appears when the app cannot synchronize data with the server. This box only appears the first time it encounters a problem.

22. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

Almost forgot to mention that 5.1 (which came out Friday) supports the iPhone 5 now. :)

23. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

This app looks interesting, mind doing a youtube video explaining/using it. Or if not maybe offering someone a free copy to review/explain it going through the features.

Maybe something that would boost sales.

24. tmiw thread starter macrumors 68000

A YouTube video sounds like a good idea, actually. I'll look into it :)