Introducing Opera Unite. Today, we reinvent the Web.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thefunkymunky, Jun 16, 2009.

1. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

Continuing our legacy of innovation, we present a technology that will enable you to get more from your browser – and the Web – than you have ever experienced. Opera Unite marks a milestone in our march towards online freedom.

Get started at http://unite.opera.com/

With Opera 10, we are introducing a new technology called Opera Unite, radically extending what you are able to do online. Opera Unite harnesses the power of today's fast connections and hardware, allowing all of us to help define the future landscape of the Web, one computer at a time. Read about how Opera Unite is going to change the way we interact on the Web on labs.opera.com.

2. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Sounds like Opera are innovating again. Nice.

Actually since moving to Mac I haven't tried Opera, so here goes... :cool:

3. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I have Opera installed, but always seem to end up using Firefox :confused:

This new development could be excellent though.. is it like some sort of ftp thing?

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Opera is a much ,ore stable browser that safari. You don't have to worry about topsites changing and deleting by themselves! Opera's topsite feather is rock solid.

5. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

I'd just set it up, UPnP is not working but anyway it looks promising. It's sooo low on system resources too. Imagine the possibilities, this is so exciting!

But there are a few points i discovered that they shoud/may improve;

1-Chooosing the name of the machine before your Opera address is kind of weird to me.

2-Everytime i double click on a service, it creates a new tab. After 10 minutes you may have 142651423 tabs open.

3-You can't choose which specific files to share in "File Sharing". All or none. edit: same applies to the music and photo sharing.

4-Crashed 8-9 times in a couple of hours. This is not good.

5-Render engine is not working well with the Unite pages. (especially while narrowing the window)

edit: UPnP suddently started working, strange.

6. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

So it's basically peer to peer driven by an Opera client with a nice online browser-based interface.

Seems interesting, and good for broadcasting my music and disk over the internet for me to access ^^ but I'm struggling to see it being much more useful without becoming more like Orb/Slingbox etc.

The lack of servers is promoted as a benefit, but from the user's view all it means is the services are very much not in the cloud, and hence can be intermittent.

Has potential. Though "reinventing the web"? Hmm

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Indeed. Marketing.

Finally have the time to play with it a bit the service does seem like it has promise. I like the fridge, instantly appears on the screen of both computers and the popup notification of a new message is good. Has potential to serve as a todo list type of personal tracking, at this moment in time I put my computers to sleep far too often for it to be a decent service for other users to interact with me.

Media Player could be improved seems to have a clunky interface for browsing the music library and hopefully it will support more formats. Also on the iPhone with Mobile Safari I could not press the play button, I was interested to see if it could allow me to use my computer as a very simple streaming server.

I haven't had any crashes with the Unite feature just some of the same crashes as the previous beta/alpha builds.

All in all a good start.

It opens in the same tab for me :confused: Could you perhaps explain in more detail the process you use?

I'm not getting this, everything seems to be working smoothly in that regard for me. Is it any service in particular?

8. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Why does Opera have to look so amazingly unattractive. :(
    Works OK, has a few too many oddities - maybe features? Either way not something I'm keeping on my Mac.

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

10. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

Well, i'm just double-clicking to the service names in the unite panel. I reinstalled Opera with clearing the pref files but no change. This behavior is absurd IMO.

Try narrowing the window while in "The Lounge".

11. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

Ditto. It's looking better to my eyes in Windows, isn't it?

12. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Agreed. Opera seems to match Windows far better than Mac. :eek:

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah, you have to use the latest build - links at the bottom of this Opera Blog page

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/06/16/freedom

Ahh got you, I was going from my Unite Webpage rather than the panel. Seems a bit odd behaviour I agree

Found it too, I didn't get around to trying the Lounge.

The new UI does look better in windows right now I agree. There are lots of themes out there and the interface is very customisable so it is possible to switch it up. I quite like my Opera 9.64 setup much more than the 10 but keeping it default as much as possible to see how it progresses.

The guy who is in charge of the new UI is on twitter here and there is an opera feedback thread here.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx