Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
At this point I would even except some indication that they were going to renew but some months ahead. Then I'd shut up, but this nothingness is what is killing me. And I too have thousands of dollars of mac only software that kind of ties me in. I almost as interested in seeing the new imac and other line ups now to see if there is any new higher end models to see where Apple is going with this, but even that is pushed till June at the earliest. I think this is a record for Apple time wise for no new mac models period. (mostly Intel's fault) They can't be too happy about that regardless.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
At this point I would even except some indication that they were going to renew but some months ahead. Then I'd shut up, but this nothingness is what is killing me. And I too have thousands of dollars of mac only software that kind of ties me in. I almost as interested in seeing the new imac and other line ups now to see if there is any new higher end models to see where Apple is going with this, but even that is pushed till June at the earliest. I think this is a record for Apple time wise for no new mac models period. (mostly Intel's fault) They can't be too happy about that regardless.

The same thing did happen with the motorolla proccesors. Apple was a little quicker to jump ship though...

I back everything up to blu ray - used to do it to dvd and cd's. I keep the disc in a drawer, where is coo and dark. I have cd's that are 15 years old, and still work

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The truth is, they are just going to let all Macs go obsolete so they can "transition" us over to the "new wave" of iOS devices...according to Apple's thinking, that's the way of the future -- The "Post PC Revolution", where you won't have one need in the world for a traditional computer any longer. Even Tim Cook himself keeps re-iterating this, and the degree to which people are using iPads in place of the PC or Mac. I really do believe this is the direction Apple is headed, I'm not joking here about this. Apple *might* eventually get out of the Mac business entirely and stop making computers altogether and be primarily an iOS device/tablet/phone company. The MacBook Pro might be popular and Apple's best selling machine right now, but Apple's energy and focus is more on iOS right now than Mac, and that has been the trend ever since the iPhone was introduced -- it's been a shift of focus at Apple. The worldwide developer base for iOS is already much larger than the Mac, by a factor of 10x or greater. That should be an indication of what is happening, and what is to come.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The truth is, they are just going to let all Macs go obsolete so they can "transition" us over to the "new wave" of iOS devices...according to Apple's thinking, that's the way of the future -- The "Post PC Revolution", where you won't have one need in the world for a traditional computer any longer. Even Tim Cook himself keeps re-iterating this, and the degree to which people are using iPads in place of the PC or Mac. I really do believe this is the direction Apple is headed, I'm not joking here about this. Apple *might* eventually get out of the Mac business entirely and stop making computers altogether and be primarily an iOS device/tablet/phone company. The MacBook Pro might be popular and Apple's best selling machine right now, but Apple's energy and focus is more on iOS right now than Mac, and that has been the trend ever since the iPhone was introduced -- it's been a shift of focus at Apple. The worldwide developer base for iOS is already much larger than the Mac, by a factor of 10x or greater. That should be an indication of what is happening, and what is to come.

The all the eggs in one basket approach. I hope that works out for them.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
The truth is, they are just going to let all Macs go obsolete so they can "transition" us over to the "new wave" of iOS devices...according to Apple's thinking, that's the way of the future -- The "Post PC Revolution", where you won't have one need in the world for a traditional computer any longer.

Seems illogical, seeing as they recently announced they're going for a more aggressive yearly release cycle to Mac OS.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities

Right. I see the writing on the wall too, and have thought about what you've posted here, but my big question continues to be, "What are we supposed to use to develop all those iOS apps? X-Code on an iPad?!". Look, it might make sense to maximize profits by using 100% of the volume in a tanker for oil storage, but the crew will starve to death or be overcome by exposure well before your oil reaches the intended customer . . . :(

Yetihunter

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Silly

I do understand that many of you guys/gals are completely delusional.
But I'll give it a college try:

If you made it up in your head, it's not a fact.

Considering they've been on a steady climb to the top (and beyond)
for the past decade; I think it's ok to assume Apple knows how to run
a business.

Here's the reality:

You won't know their plans until they reveal them to you.
They'll have a new computer that fits your needs. If you can't
wait, they probably already have a computer that fits your needs.
If they don't, you'll use something else.

Aug 26, 2008
I do understand that many of you guys/gals are completely delusional.
But I'll give it a college try:

If you made it up in your head, it's not a fact.

Considering they've been on a steady climb to the top (and beyond)
for the past decade; I think it's ok to assume Apple knows how to run
a business.

Here's the reality:

You won't know their plans until they reveal them to you.
They'll have a new computer that fits your needs. If you can't
wait, they probably already have a computer that fits your needs.
If they don't, you'll use something else.

Oh, the irony.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Right. I see the writing on the wall too, and have thought about what you've posted here, but my big question continues to be, "What are we supposed to use to develop all those iOS apps? X-Code on an iPad?!"(

I'm guessing Apple with introduce a larger tabletop-type touchscreen/multi-touch computer running some variant of iOS that will be used for this. It's display will be large enough to support a rich development environment, and it will replace the place of both the iMac and the Mac Pro, being the flagship desktop machine. This will have a horizontal display like the iPad which can be tilted slightly angular but not vertical like Jobs was opposed to with touchscreen computers -- he said the touchscreen computer is simply a bad idea and "does not work" because of the angle you must hold your hand for an extended period of time. This "tabletop computer" will have a much larger display than the iPad but operate much like the iPad, possibly with a non-mobile variant of iOS more like Mac OS X. It would be a desktop productivity machine meant to sit on a desk, table, or flat surface. It's implementation of multitasking would be much better than the iPad and it would possibly even support a traditional mode of cursor input like a touchpad. Precision pointing is still not even possible using finger input on the iPad with small elements, that is why this "tabletop computer" might support external cursor input, as Pro customers would want this. With the explosion of LED, LCD technology at Retina quality in mass numbers, such displays may be available in the future (retina touch screens) at 27" size and larger, which would be an ideal size for such a computer. This angle would be adjustable, but it would sit horizontal to the surface, not vertical like a traditional computer display. Think of it like a "giant iPad" but much more advanced -- I see such a device in Apple's future...and maybe not too far off!

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I'm guessing Apple with introduce a larger tabletop-type touchscreen/multi-touch computer running some variant of iOS that will be used for this. It's display will be large enough to support a rich development environment, and it will replace the place of both the iMac and the Mac Pro, being the flagship desktop machine. This will have a horizontal display like the iPad which can be tilted slightly angular but not vertical like Jobs was opposed to with touchscreen computers -- he said the touchscreen computer is simply a bad idea and "does not work" because of the angle you must hold your hand for an extended period of time.

The ergonomics of your back/neck positioning would still not be very good, even assuming you don't have to reach your arm out to interact with the display very often. There is nothing stopping us from putting a display mostly horizontal right now, if that's what people wanted, but we don't do it. I'm not sure how having a large touch screen would change that.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The device/machine would sit up very close to you and spread out like a panel, it would be fully adjustable so you could find the best angle that worked for you. I think people do like the "intuitiveness" of touchscreen operating systems like the iOS, and something on a larger scale would make the experience more engaging, as well as add to the possible productivity given the quadrupling of screen real estate.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
According to Apple's thinking, that's the way of the future -- The "Post PC Revolution", where you won't have one need in the world for a traditional computer any longer.

That is NOT what Jobs or Apple has said.

Apple has said most people won't need a traditional computer. No where have they said no one will need a traditional computer.

What's more interesting is a convergence where an iPad can become a traditional computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.