introducing with my new iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deli6z, Aug 10, 2010.

1. deli6z macrumors newbie

Hi everybody. Sorry for writing here such questions - but have no other choise(( tried to find answers around 2 hours without any results.

This is my first iphone, I've got 4 iphone, no using experience before.
    Can you help me - what should I do first to make my life easier with iphone - maybe some tricks or other stuff?

Using it almost 3 days, trying understand principles of ioS and all features.

Now began to think about jailbreak. but here is the question of the thread - what jailbreak gives to iphone? All I know is that it's gonna be much much better than before)))

So can someone give me detailed answer about pros and cons of jailbreaking iphone 4?

thanks for attention

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Don't bother JBing before you can use all the features of iOS. Just saying.

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

There's an app for that!
    • Jailbreak
    • Launch Cydia
    • Tap "Make my life easier"
    • Magic!

4. alFR macrumors 68020

Ah, internet humour. Like real humour but just not funny.

Anyway, now for some actual advice:

Tips:
    • If you've really never used an iOS device (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) before, check out Apple's iPhone 4 features page. While a lot of it is obviously promotional stuff, it does give you a good overview of the major applications/OS features included with the phone. Particularly check out putting apps into folders, the search function and voice control.
    • Also, have a look at the Apple iPhone Support site. There's a lot more info there, and you can download the manuals as PDFs if you want.

Jailbreaking:
    • The upside of this is that it allows you to install applications that aren't approved by Apple, which means that they aren't subject to Apple's restrictions on what phone features they can access. This enables things like more customisation of the user interface (e.g. video wallpapers), notifications on the lock screen for new emails etc. A lot of them are downloaded through a sort of alternative app store called Cydia. Jailbreaking also allows you to unlock your iPhone 4 for use on any carrier (although depending where you bought it it might already be unlocked).
    • The downside of jailbreaking is that you can potentially make the phone more unstable, either through installing a malware app or just because Apple changes something in an update that breaks a load of your unapproved applications.