Introduction/question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by texascrazyhorse, Aug 26, 2014.

1. texascrazyhorse macrumors newbie

Hello guys, first time posting, I have been reading a lot about my Mac and some doubts arised.

Firstly I am having trouble with mavericks, I have a late 2008 macbook pro with the aluminum body with 5 GB of RAM, today I plan to upgrade that to 8 gb. The problem being that some games that ran well in snow leopard (like COD 4, BioShock, Torchlight and Half life 2) now run slower and some of them crash suddenly, will this correct this? If not I don't mind switching to snow leopard 6.7 again (or get mountain lion)

Also, I read that my Mac has an NVIDIA GEOFORCE 9600M video card, but when I go to the about this Mac page it only shows the NVIDIA 9400M card, so I don't know if I do or don't have it, if I do, how do I switch between cards? I'm planning on installing diablo 3 very soon and would like to know if I can even run it (after I upgrade to 8gb of course).

Thanks!

2. texascrazyhorse thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Angriff macrumors member

The 9400M are the integrated graphics. The system will only turn on the 9600M graphics if an app tells the system it needs the higher power graphics card.

As for games crashing, it really depends on what kind of messages you're getting from the crash. It could be related to running out of memory, it could be incompatibility with Mavericks or it could be something else entirely.

4. texascrazyhorse thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the thing, I don't get any messages they just crash and run quite slowly.