Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Intuit Announces QuickBooks 2010 for Mac

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Intuit today announced the introduction of the Mac version of QuickBooks 2010, an update to the company's small business accounting software. Scheduled for launch on October 19th at a suggested price of $199.95, QuickBooks 2010 brings a number of enhancements to the software package.
Available in late October, QuickBooks 2010 for Mac, from Intuit Inc. (Nasdaq: INTU), helps business owners:

* Save time - Gets users up and running quickly, with a faster setup process, and helps them save time on routine tasks such as e-mailing and printing.
* Make money - Gives users key insights to make smart business decisions with customizable, at-a-glance financial reports and graphs.
* Get Paid - Makes it easier to process credit card payments and track billable hours with integrated add-on services.
QuickBooks 2010, which requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later or 10.6, reportedly includes over forty enhancements and will be compatible with several add-on services, including Intuit Merchant Service (starting at $19.95/month), My Time (free), and Intuit QuickBooks Payroll (starting at $25.00/month).

Article Link: Intuit Announces QuickBooks 2010 for Mac

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Is it compatible with the Windows version?

RogueWarrior65

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
I still won't buy it...

Because it's not the Premiere version a la Windows. I need the Manufacturing features for my business. I loathe having to run Windows to spit out an invoice. Stupid. And IMHO, Parallels seems to have gotten much slower over the last year or two making it almost unusable.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Odd... it's not on the Quicken Financial Institutions site for downloads. I wonder when they're going to let banks have it before they start asking them to support it...

Oh, sorry... I read Quicken instead of Quickbooks. Still, 2009 is the latest available.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Wait

As is the case in the past, each version and each year's files are probably not compatible so I can only upgrade when my accountant upgrades so that he can accept my files electronically.

Also, I know few people who pay MSRP for this stuff. Everyone it seems waits for it to go on sale around tax season.

jjxc90

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2009
Had HUGE issues going from QB 2007 to 2009. Now that everything is working I will not be touching this with a 30ft pole. Until they finally add some compelling new functionality I will not be giving Intuit another dime.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Until they finally add some compelling new functionality I will not be giving Intuit another dime.

Agreed.

Intuit really sucks.

I don't think anyone at the company pays much attention to the computer industry since they don't seem to understand the Mac platform has been on an epic rebound for a few years now. And yet, they still put out pathetic annual patches rather than give us parity with the PC versions.

Quicken, with its 2006 copyright date, is a joke.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Intuit is a terrible dev. Quicken for Mac has always been a disaster. No thanks.

It's sooo bizarre.. I can't understand why they hadn't always maintained the Mac version to be the same as the windows version. It doesn't make any sense to have two totally different road maps, development ideas and still call it the same stupid name and same packaging.

They should call Quicken for Mac something totally different. Otherwise you get duped into thinking they're the same software, and they're really really really not.

They should just dump the Mac version completely and begin a new version as a direct ripoff of the windows one for 2011.

pmonahan

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Still no Credit Card Processing ?

Still no ability to build Inventory Assemblies ?

Windows Version is bad enough for me I guess.... why make it worse ?

space1nvaders

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
I don't care

I hate Quickbooks about as much as I hate Windows. How does everyone use this program? What happened to real accounting programs? Did you see the Mickey Mouse Quickbooks Server Manager - wow! Companies actually put this on a separate computer dedicated to be the "Quickbooks Server" for an office of 5 users. What a joke. It's just Quickbooks in multi-user running without the GUI. I could go on and on.

I'm giving up on it and writing my own accounting program. This way I have access to MY DATA with other programs. My accounting program will support 10,000 connections because I use a true SQL server. QBW files get corrupt with about 3 connections.

In a :mad: mood today as you can see. Been wasting hours fixing Quickbooks for clients and it is very frustrating.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I wish people would take the time to read and potentially understand before they spout off.

1. This is about QuickBooks NOT Quicken.
  2. The development teams are independent of each other. The Quicken teams have nothing to do with the QuickBooks teams.
  3. Credit card processing is available in QuickBooks for Mac 2010. You can even sign up now for your merchant account.
  4. QuickBooks for Mac was developed independant of the Windows version years ago so the technology is platform specific. Kinda hard to throw away years of work and say tough luck to thousands of loyal customers, don't you think? Better yet, let's do that and charge $700+ for the product again. That'll go over even better! :eek:
  5. If it were so easy to develop a program like this then why are there so few options?
  6. There are still a few Windows features missing but I am sure everyone has noticed there are fewer and fewer every year?
  7. Mac users can even use the online version which is exactly the same as the online version for Windows users—oh, because it is the same.
  8. Intuit has actively supported small business for years and continues to do so, and that includes Mac based businesses.
  9. Intuit has produced yearly upgrades for QuickBooks for Mac for a several years now and it always comes out about this time (for good reason too). If you are still hung up on the hiatus they took way back when let's talk about all the projects Apple let hang out to dry.
  10. Copyright date? Really, copyright date? Come on...

All this stuff is on their site folks. Expand your horizons beyond these forums.

Nope, I don't work for Intuit. I use the product. I read the manuals. It works. And yes, I can list shortcomings of the product as well.

space1nvaders

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Intuit is not a small company

I wish people would take the time to read and potentially understand before they spout off.

1. The development teams are independent of each other. The Quicken teams have nothing to do with the QuickBooks teams.
  2. QuickBooks for Mac was developed independant of the Windows version years ago so the technology is platform specific. Kinda hard to throw away years of work and say tough luck to thousands of loyal customers, don't you think? Better yet, let's do that and charge $700+ for the product again. That'll go over even better! :eek:
  3. If it were so easy to develop a program like this then why are there so few options?
  4. There are still a few Windows features missing but I am sure everyone has noticed there are fewer and fewer every year?
  5. Intuit has actively supported small business for years and continues to do so, and that includes Mac based businesses.
  6. Intuit has produced yearly upgrades for QuickBooks for Mac for a several years now and it always comes out about this time (for good reason too). If you are still hung up on the hiatus they took way back when let's talk about all the projects Apple let hang out to dry.
  7. Copyright date? Really, copyright date? Come on...

With the money and resources Intuit has, you would expect a lot more. They take years to get the program up to speed. Why? Do they have one developer working on it? Come on. This is ridiculous. They should have had a kick ass program from the start written in Cocoa and better than Windows. There is no excuse. They have millions of users. Just write great software. It's not great software - it is just enough to get by.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona

1. It's also about Intuit. A piss poor company with a shoddy record in the Mac world. Intuit can go pound sand.

MickG

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2006
Santa Barbara, CA
Intuit Apologist?

2. The development teams are independent of each other. The Quicken teams have nothing to do with the QuickBooks teams.
  3. Credit card processing is available in QuickBooks for Mac 2010. You can even sign up now for your merchant account.
  4. QuickBooks for Mac was developed independant of the Windows version years ago so the technology is platform specific. Kinda hard to throw away years of work and say tough luck to thousands of loyal customers, don't you think? Better yet, let's do that and charge $700+ for the product again. That'll go over even better! :eek:
  5. If it were so easy to develop a program like this then why are there so few options?
  6. There are still a few Windows features missing but I am sure everyone has noticed there are fewer and fewer every year?
  7. Mac users can even use the online version which is exactly the same as the online version for Windows users—oh, because it is the same.
  8. Intuit has actively supported small business for years and continues to do so, and that includes Mac based businesses.
  9. Intuit has produced yearly upgrades for QuickBooks for Mac for a several years now and it always comes out about this time (for good reason too). If you are still hung up on the hiatus they took way back when let's talk about all the projects Apple let hang out to dry.
  10. Copyright date? Really, copyright date? Come on...

All this stuff is on their site folks. Expand your horizons beyond these forums.

Nope, I don't work for Intuit. I use the product. I read the manuals. It works. And yes, I can list shortcomings of the product as well.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I can read the Intuit QuickBooks "Help" forums all day and read similarly toned apologies.

Yes, QuickBooks is better than it used to be. Heck, 2009 finally allowed me to write more than 256 characters in the Description area of my invoices. Hoo-wee! I honestly think my expectations are so low that I didn't mind paying about $200 to upgrade from 2007 (which kind of blows your, "well they release a new version every year," theory. QuickBooks 2008 was...?...where?).

I run a Mac Consulting Business and I use QuickBooks because the alternatives are far and few inbtween, and I need something my accountant understands. The fact that MYOB is about the only major competitor to QB is NOT a credit to how "challenging" financial software is to write. It's about the monopoloy that Intuit has created in the Accounting world.

It’s also about time spent. I’ve now got about 3 years invested in this crappy piece of software and just don’t have time to migrate to (and learn) something else. So I’m stuck. Partly by choice, partly by a lack thereof.

A year and a half ago my QuickBooks 2007 database became corrupt for reasons that no Intuit expert could explain. I lost about a month’s worth of data and all of my backups were corrupt. I maintain a very clean system and know what I’m doing. The only thing they could suggest for the corruption was that it was crashing so much that it damaged itself in such a way that even the backups were unrepairable. I had to upload the database to a site that techs in India took about 3 weeks to repair. Meanwhile, I had nothing to enter data into, make invoices, receive payments and so forth. I probably lost billing on maybe $2000 worth of jobs and don’t even talk to me about downtime. When I finally got the repaired database back, I asked the techs how I could avoid this in the future and they said, “I’m not sure to be knowing. Maybe you should backing up every day.”

[sigh]

QuickBooks 2009 still crashes randomly when turning an invoice into a PDF to email to clients. The Crash Reporter kicks in and I type profanities in there and email it all back to Intuit. I mean,... seriously. You can’t even write software that won’t crash simply in the process of creating a PDF?... How hard is that to figure out?

So when we bash Intuit, it’s not that we expect everything to be perfect. It’s usually that the things that are WRONG with it, are so basic, so fundamental, so elemental that it seems that either the team in charge of the writing code on the Mac version are either seriously retarded, or just don’t care. And the speed at which they are adding functionality that has existed in the PC version seems to confirm the latter.

Credit Card processing is finally here? Is it only for Intuit’s services, or can I use my existing Merchant Bank account with Chase? Probably the former...

The only time I’ve written to Steve Jobs (well, we all have at least once, right?...) is to complain about Intuit and to BEG him to set an Apple Team up with a few million to write a truly great accounting program for the Mac. iBooks. I would more happily put up with that evolution than I would with waiting another decade for Intuit to build a Mac version that doesn’t crash every time I sneeze. Did I mention I have allergies?

Okay, I’m done here. I need to send in another crash report...
:apple:

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah, vote of no confidence in Intuit here ....

I realize most Mac users aren't real "up" on the Windows side of things, but let me clue you in. Quickbooks for Windows is a real slopped together piece of software too.

Anyone running Windows Vista is practically unable to run older versions of Quickbooks (like any version older than 2007), because Intuit decided to violate all sorts of "standard programming practices", and wrote info to parts of the system registry that are supposed to be off limits to applications. In Windows XP and earlier, you could get away with that ... but Vista started enforcing security permissions on those places, making Quickbooks bomb out.

Intuit's only response to this issue? "You'll need to buy the current version." Granted, it's probably not a bad idea for someone using Quickbooks 2006 to upgrade, since we're in 2009 already. But it illustrates the type of coding they do with their apps.... not pretty.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
Had HUGE issues going from QB 2007 to 2009. Now that everything is working I will not be touching this with a 30ft pole. Until they finally add some compelling new functionality I will not be giving Intuit another dime.

agree about the upgrade.

I just finished the transition from Windows Quickbooks 2009 to Mac Quickbooks 2009 for my office-based medical practice of around 25 employees - primarily because I convinced my in-laws to convert to Mac at home after numerous windows problems in their home.

Overall, things went really well and the accountant is able to open the Mac version files easily on his windows setup. However, I agree with everyone that Intuit as a company produces very poor products but as mentioned earlier they "own" the majority of the market.

I was saddened to see that Mint.com was acquired by Intuit and I hope that they are hands-off. Intuit bought them out of fear since Mint rose to fame and established such a huge userbase so quickly putting their online quicken to shame.

Bottom line - give me more features worth upgrading and then I will purchase the next mac quickbooks revision...

leumluath

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
Because it's not the Premiere version a la Windows. I need the Manufacturing features for my business. I loathe having to run Windows to spit out an invoice. Stupid. And IMHO, Parallels seems to have gotten much slower over the last year or two making it almost unusable.

Same situation here... we need Assemblies, and that's only in Premier, on Windoze. Haven't gone to the dark side yet, but fear I'll have to. It appears to be cheaper to buy a laptop running Windoze , than to but a copy of XP and Parallels to run QB Premier on my MacBook Pro. 8-(

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
I looked at all the options for Mac accounting software recently. I settled on QuickBooks Online and pay a monthly. It works well for my self-prop. Their Mac software sounded sucky.

sammy_cda

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2004
Idaho, USA
Why is it so hard for Intuit to make their data files platform independent?

I would like to be able to use either QB for Windows or QB for Mac to open and work with the same file.

I'm an avid Mac user but the Mac versions of QB are so bad that I finally broke down and bought a PC just for Quickbooks.

cmfilms

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Central Iowa
Waste of time & money....

In my seven years in business, my work with Quicken and Quickbooks resulted in the largest loss of time and money. After installing and entering all of my financial records, tax time rolls around and Intuit's Quickbooks is not compatible with Intuit's TurboTax. :mad:

Never again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.