Intuit Bites the Big One on Snow Leopard Readiness

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GoldenPRGuy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. GoldenPRGuy macrumors newbie

Once again, the mac community is being treated like a third class citizen by a software producer. This time it's Intuit. Snow Leopard development seeds have been available for what seems like a billion years now, and Intuit completely ignored them. I wonder how many small to medium size businesses like mine are all-mac shops and rely on Quickbooks heavily. Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, Quickbooks for Mac 2009 crashes constantly. Receiving payments, writing checks, adjusting invoices and deleting register entries all bring the program to its knees. What worse, no one even acknowledges the crash reports, and support in India is completely useless. For shame Intiut! You've just joined the ranks of Verizon, RIM and all of the other pathetic companies that treat the Apple community like children. :mad:

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Well, most businesses would never consider upgrading to a new OS on THE DAY it came out. Leopard did not cease functioning the moment SL was released. If your computer is so important to your business, why would you take such a risk before investigating whether it is prudent to upgrade?

As to your comment regarding the dev previews being available for 'a billion years': I work for a software company that makes a Mac app (not Intuit), and can tell you that it takes a long time to develop a new release and it is often tough to realign those cycles to coincide with Apple. Plus, Apple hides some features from the previews so you don't always have the complete OS to test against, and they like to give vague ship dates like Fall 2009. And then they announce a firm date with a 1 week notice. It is really tough for larger companies to hit Apple's constantly moving targets.

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Maybe you should be blaming Apple...

If the app worked fine on Leopard and Tiger, and is suddenly crashing on SL, perhaps it is a bug in SL? Or have you not seen the myriad reports of app crashes on SL?

This is the risk YOU took in upgrading to an untested OS.

4. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

If you depend on QuickBooks for your business, why would you upgrade to Snow Leopard on anything other than a test machine without putting your software through its paces first? You test your software out on a test machine, and then if everything works well, you go about upgrading your machines that you rely on daily. Intuit may have dropped the ball here, but you shouldn't have upgraded to Snow Leopard without making sure that all of your important apps worked first.

5. GoldenPRGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Clearly you are all correct, I understand I took a chance upgrading, but the fact is I didn't see SL and a major new OS, simply an massive bug fix and streamline to an already compatible OS - in my defense this is how Phil S. described it - as a major OS enhancement. I have not had any issues with any of the other dozens of software packages I use regularly, so it just surprised me that QB doesn't run. As for how this affects my business in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't ... I just transferred my QB file to one of the other systems in the office that I didn't upgrade yet! Sometimes I just need a good bitch session. And in the end of the day, I still firmly believe that Mac users have been treated like the red-headed stepchild for years by so many software companies and service providers (not ISPs). I'm hoping the tides are changing!

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Intuit? You mean the Intuit that couldn't figure out how to make Quicken Mac equal in features to Quicken Windows? You mean the Intuit that announced a Quicken Mac replacement at MW 2008, issued some crappy betas, and then missed their target release day of summer 2009, saying, well maybe 2010. Is that the Intuit you are talking about?

Seriously, do not expect Intuit to give any decent support to Mac. If you use an Intuit product for your Mac then you do so at your own risk. Personally I wouldn't risk it. Quicken bites when it comes to Mac.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

inuit sux, I avoid any of there products as much as I can, at least on the mac. I use iBank for all of my financial needs. Its embarrassing that they're unable to produce an update/rewrite to quicken for the mac in all of these years. I think they're now seeing that they lost most of the macintosh market and are moving on. Other products, like iBank have produced better applications and the ill will generated means mac users won't be flocking to quicken for the mac if it ever sees the light of day.

8. jklara macrumors newbie

haha--my sentiments exactly on OSX

Had Quickbook for mac 2009 since January. Twice now my company info has disappeared. I can see the accounts but they are only showing the opening balance and nothing else. Intuit wants to charge me to figure out where the info went. LOL. Nice lady from India was eager enough--all I had to do was give her my credit card info. I have a backup disk (of course) but won't restore from there. Keeps saying it is from a version prior to 2004, which of course it is not. Why-you ask? Because I couldn't transfer any of that info--had to dump it when I switched to the newer version. And.... even when it was working, couldn't share my info on my desktop with my laptop. DON'T BUY THIS GARBAGE!!! Can anyone recommend a better accounting program? This one does most definitely bite!!