Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Neither have been released so that would be hard to do. I use iBank 2 and like it. I used Quicken PC for years and moved to iBank 2 when I switched back to Mac OS. I'll upgrade to iBank 3 and won't even consider any version of Quicken, especially after the B.S. of trying to get PC Quicken data transferred to the Mac version.

Did iBank 2 import all your Quicken data properly?

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Did iBank 2 import all your Quicken data properly?
I imported 12 years of Quicken data. It got all the transactions correct, but it didn't set the cleared flags properly, leaving the reconciled balances wrong. But I set all of them, and then unset the ones for the past month+ that hadn't cleared and got it correct within 15 minutes.

JaimeChinook

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
QIF Master

I hate to add another variable to this thread but we're on a roll about iBank and one of the add-ons they recommend is QIF Master. Can any iBank and/or 2007 Mac Quicken users comment on the usefulness of QIFM? Thanks

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
I imported 12 years of Quicken data. It got all the transactions correct, but it didn't set the cleared flags properly, leaving the reconciled balances wrong. But I set all of them, and then unset the ones for the past month+ that hadn't cleared and got it correct within 15 minutes.

Sounds like a serious enough bug that maybe it will be fixed in version 3. I might give it a try. Thanks.

rs76

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
I'm hoping this will be a good move IN THE LONG RUN but I will be a little skeptical until I see the final result given Intuits recent past history with Quicken. The Mac version already is greatly behind the Windows version concerning investments. So what will we be getting exactly? Will Mac owners need to fork over $10 more then the Windows users for a stripped down product (as has been the history)?

If they want this to be an immediate hit they should probably wait until the investment side is up to par. If they will have multiple versions and this will compare in features and price to Mac basic then I'm all for it. Just like Windows owners Mac owners will be willing to pay for feature rich investment additions. Hopefully the investment side will come in good time.

I wonder if Jobs was putting on any pressure. I know Apple probably has no interest in a doing a tax program so he has little wiggle room in creating a competing financial product (a big whole in the Mac App lineup IMO) but he must be telling Intuit to get with it. If Apple did a financial program (iMoney?) it would probably kick butt. Unfortunately Intuit would probably say bye bye TurboTax for the Mac.

Encouraging though. Beggers can't be choosers I guess.

rs76

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
Quicken '08 to be a subset of current version? Quicken Mac is already a subset of the Win version of the product. Anymore more "subsetting" and they should stuff No2 pencils and a check register in a box and sell that.
I'm a Quicken nerd but that is the best line I've heard in while.:D

FrankM

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
It would take a lot...

for me to try Quicken for Mac again. Previous efforts from Intuit at making a Quicken for Mac have been so awful that I trashed them within several weeks of trying to use them. (I bought one version and several years later tried one that came free with a new Mac.) Compared to the Windows versions, they were totally stripped down as far as features and I could never download transactions from my financial institutions properly. Until I hear some rave reviews from users, I'll be watching and waiting.....

TomAH

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Why all the disdain for "tag clouds"?

I understand that you don't want to double-count transactions for the purposes of taxes or budgeting, but certainly having the ability to "tag" or put a transaction in multiple categories has reporting and planning benefits.

For example, if I vacation in San Francisco and buy a shirt as a gift for my daughter, what category do I put it in?

It could be "vacation", "San Francisco", "clothing", "gifts", or "Lauren".

Actually, I'd like to "tag" it with all 5.

I can now ask questions/reports like:

How much did I spend on vacations?
How much did I spend in San Francisco?
How much did I spend on clothing?
How much did I spend on gifts?
How much did I spend on Lauren?
How much did I spend on clothing for Lauren?
How much did I spend on gifts while on vacations?
etc...

You get the idea...there are many different ways to cut this up and the "tag cloud" allows you to do this.

One way to to handle the tax issue, so something isn't double counted, the program could make it so that only one "tax-related" tag could be assigned to a transaction.

If you can neatly fit all your transactions into one category, that's great, but why place that limitation on others who might find multiple categories beneficial?

-Tom

Sped

macrumors regular
May 30, 2003
Any new info?

Anybody heard anything recent about this? Is Quicken going to follow through?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.