Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I have a 4x5 Graphire3 tablet, but I am looking to upgrade. I want to move to the Intuos series and be at least 6x8. I have found a couple used 6x8 Intuos tablets in my price range, but I am unsure which would be better (2 or 3). Correct me if I am wrong, but the shortcut 'keys' on the Intuos2 are activated by clicking them with the pen/mouse compared to the Intuos3's being actual buttons?

I am just looking for opinions on both from people who have used them.

Thanks in advance.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
I've had a 9x12 Intuos1 for probably 6 years? Anyways, its almost the same as the 2, with the buttons just above the writing area, and you click them with your stylus.

I've never noticed any difference between any of the intuos models. I've often thought of upgrading, but never saw a need.

That being said - I'd go for the cheapest one you can find in the size you want.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I've never noticed any difference between any of the intuos models.

That is some pretty good info...glad to hear I won't have something inferior in a couple years.

That being said - I'd go for the cheapest one you can find in the size you want.

I have narrowed it down to a couple ebay auctions for now. I don't NEED this, I would just like to have a larger tablet so if I don't win one, no big deal One is an Intuos3 6x11 (retail $370) and the other is a Intuos2 6x8 (Intuos3 version $330). Both are used. What would an 'reasonable' est. price be?

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
I would guess ~220-250 would be reasonable, but I haven't looked at their used prices in a while.

I have an intous3 6X8 and its a great tablet. I don't have experience with how much better the 6X11 is on a widescreen, but I use my 6x8 on wdscreens all the time and it works fine. They are good, quality tablets.

Oh and when was first looking to buy my I was kinda peeved that the biggest size I could afford was teh 6x8, but now I am really glad I go that size, the active are is a nice size and doesn't feel cramped at all. Also a plus is that is is almost the exact same size (wxh) as my MBP

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
I bought my 9x12 intuos1 for 350~ in 2001 used off ebay. 6 years later, it works 100%. I have no problem suggesting you look for an Intuos1 cheap. Unless you want a new color, I can't see why I'd ever need a new tablet unless this one physically broke.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
I own an Intuos2 and I know a friend who has an Intuos3. The only real difference between the two that I can see is the trackpad and actual buttons on the 3 instead of the touch-buttons on the 2. Functionally, they all do the same thing. I'm in the market for a used Intuos2 since mine is serial and won't connect to my new MPB (not going to mess with TabletMagic). You could go with a cheaper Intuos1 but I prefer to have the rubber grip on the Intuos2 and 3's, which you can't get on the old 1's.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I own an Intuos2 and I know a friend who has an Intuos3. The only real difference between the two that I can see is the trackpad and actual buttons on the 3 instead of the touch-buttons on the 2. Functionally, they all do the same thing. I'm in the market for a used Intuos2 since mine is serial and won't connect to my new MPB (not going to mess with TabletMagic). You could go with a cheaper Intuos1 but I prefer to have the rubber grip on the Intuos2 and 3's, which you can't get on the old 1's.

I just got a 1 with the ADB (abd?) connector off ebay and the guy is tossing in an iMate (ADB - USB) with it for free ($20 - 30ish). You may want to look into an adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.