Intuous4 small vs. medium?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by driftless, Jan 25, 2012.

1. driftless, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012

driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I am considering the Intuous4 for use with Aperture/Photoshop. I am leaning to the small size as it most similar to the Bamboo Capture in size which works perfectly on my desk. I am wondering if there are any advantages of going up in size to the medium that just the loss or portability and use of desk space?

2. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I have the medium Wireless Int4 i think if depends in your style if your used to small brush strokes then a small should be fine, if you like to be a bit more expressive then a bigger tablet helps.

As i wanted wireless then I had to choose medium...also i think the medium/large have more shortcut buttons, and they also have a little display to tell you what the buttons do..

For me it was all about the wireless and being able to kick back from the screen while dodging and burning when i wanted too....I like the medium size, its just right for me...

...anyway you can try one before...if your real not sure maybe figuring out your perfect size and see which one is closest?

3. WRP macrumors 6502a

In wacom sizes, I have to say bigger is better. I had a 4x6 (they used to go by dimensions but now they go by sizes) that I used as a travel one while I had a 6x8 on my desk at home. I ended up getting a 9x12 for my home edit system and now I can't even use a smaller one. For my new work system I had to go with a large. Go big or go home :D

4. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

I currently have the small but I am going to upgrade to the medium. For me I need the larger area to work and I want the wireless option as well. Now what I really want is a Cintiq but thats way to expensice for me.

5. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

Get the medium. So much easier to work on. Small is too small and large it too big IMO. Medium is perfect!

[​IMG]
    Larger

6. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

If I remember correctly, the small version doesn't have all of the buttons. I use all of my buttons on my medium Intuos 4 and would not want to be without any of them. As for portability, the medium is great. Mine has been back and forth between the US and Europe more times than I can count. It goes where I go.

7. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

Yes thats correct the small only has 6 buttons instead of the 8 and does not have the display to tell you what the assignment is.

8. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Ah, right, the little displays next to the buttons...how can anyone work without those? The buttons can be assigned to do different things in different apps, and the little displays change depending on which app is open to let you know what that button is programed to do there. I would get lost without the labels changing to remind me of what each button does. This feature alone made me rule out the small tablet.

9. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

Thanks for all of the comments. I just added the medium to me B&H wish list and I will pick it up when a lens that I am waiting for is in stock.

10. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

Thats one of the reasons I am upgrading to the medium.

11. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

They used to do a version with a bundled copy of lightroom, which was only like £19.00 more for me, Not sure if they are still doing it...but might be worth looking out for??..

12. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Smaller is better - I only use a small portion of the small one - it helps the pen moves across my ACD faster ;)