Invalid directory item count

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drmajor, Jul 17, 2012.

1. drmajor macrumors member

drmajor

Looking to load Mnt Lion when it comes out, so running Disk Utility just to be sure.

Run FIRST AID and get INVALID DIRECTORY ITEM COUNT, (It should be 42 instead of 41)....

I have booted with Command -s and run FSCK -f. No change.
    I tried to boot from the Snow Leopard CD, but it stalls on the Gray screen with the Apple and rotating gear. No change after 45 minutes.

Suggestions??

I-Mac
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B02

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Your copy of Snow Leopard, is it a retail or gray disc? I'm guessing a retail disc, otherwise, barring an issue with the optical drive or logic board, the computer should be able to boot to the disc it shipped with. Make sure you are using a disc appropriate for your system, not one from another Mac.

3. drmajor thread starter macrumors member

drmajor

OS disk is Gray- the one that came with it.(I-Mac).

I have run FSCK-f from Single User.... once. Someone suggest that it be run several times.???

When I Command-C to boot from disk, Imac accesses the CD and sounds like it is Normal, but then it just stays on the Gray screen with the Apple and rotating gear.... I stopped it after 45 minutes.

Computer works fine, just trying to get it ready for Mnt Lion.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Command+C is not the keyboard shortcut for booting to an install disc. You should be holding C by itself or the option key and using the startup manager to select the install disc. I would consider visiting your local Apple Store or service provider to see if they can confirm that the disc is appropriate for the computer. There is a 2Z691 number in the 8 o'clock position (when the white Apple logo is at the 12 o'clock position) that can be used to confirm that the discs are compatible with the system.

As far as running /sbin/fsck -fy more than once, you should only do so if it displays after running ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****. If it says the volume appears to be OK, there is no need to run it again.

5. drmajor thread starter macrumors member

drmajor

You are correct- just use C- Brain fade.

the number you mentioned is 6590-a. Where do I find if that is correct. However, Since I only have the Imace in question and Macbook Pro and the Macbook Pro disk is labeled as such- kinda hard to not get them right.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

An Apple Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or AppleCare phone agent should be able to identify if that is the right disc. Since you only have two Apple computers, you're right, it's unlikely that you have the wrong one, but it doesn't hurt to check.

You may have already checked, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence by suggesting this, but you have made sure your optical drive is actually reading the disc and other optical media right? Do CDs/DVDs mount in Finder, have you burned anything recently? If you boot holding option, does the DVD appear as an available boot option?

7. drmajor thread starter macrumors member

drmajor

no insult- I am fairly new to Apple.

Holding down the OPTION key, shows the DVD as a boot option.. to install Snow Leopard. It will only allow install on Mac hard drive, not any of the USB drives I have.

I let it go ahead to install and after about 10 minutes, it stops with the error message " The installation could not copy the necessary support files."

So, how does one run FIRST AID or REPAIR from the DVD?

Is it possible to fully boot with the DVD?
    Or can it be installed on an external drive? My External drives show an Exclamation inside a yellow triangle and will not let me select them.

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

To check the hard drive, select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu while booted to the disc, then select the hard drive on the left and click Verify/Repair Disk. The DVD does not have a bootable OS, and yes, it is possible to install Mac OS X on an external drive but it will need to be partitioned as GUID partition table and formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before it can be selected as an install destination.

9. drmajor thread starter macrumors member

drmajor

Finally got external drive formatted as GUID and the OS loaded onto it.

When I ran Disk Utilities from there, the main Mac Drive checked out just fine.

Thanks for the input.