Invalid index key error on new hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stlphotog, Aug 19, 2010.

1. stlphotog macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I recently replaced the factory-installed 70gb hard drive in my original 2006 15" MPB with a Seagate Momentus 320gb. I needed more space, but as "luck" would have it, my old HD failed just days after I made a bootable backup via superduper. I lost no data, put in the new HD, loaded Snow Leopard, migrated everything over from the external and was happy.

Why did I think the HD died? Because one day, a program froze and the whole laptop become unresponsive. When I did a hard reset via the restart button, I would get only the gray screen with apple icon and spinning wheel.

Fast forward to a week ago and I've been on the new HD about a month, the computer is working perfectly and BAM the same damn thing happens again. This time I refuse to believe that the HD, only a month old, had died.

I ran disk utility and came up with "invalid node structure." Since the new HD had only been in place about a month, there was not that much on it so I decided an erase and re-install would be the best option. Everything seemed to go fine and I verified the disk one more time just to make sure. This time? Invalid index key.

I'm going out of my mind here. This was a complete erase and re-install on a brand new hard drive.
    Things I've tried:
    -erase and re-install. Went from "invalid node support" to "invalid index key." Both say they can't be repaired
    -fsck. Did nothing. Just kept coming back with the above answer
    -disk utility. Again nothing. See above
    -Apple Hardware Test-came back "no trouble"
    -S.M.A.R.T status-verified

One other thing, when the error was "invalid node support," I could see the internal HD on the external and even copy from it. After the re-install, the external can't see the internal, but disk utility can. Also, both times the freeze happened, I was working outside in the heat. Could this be heat-related?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm seriously considering DiskWarrior, but wondering if the problem might be something else. Any suggestions? Is DiskWarrior the way to go? Why does this keep happening on a brand new hard drive?

Thanks,
    Sarah

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Even brand-new drives can fail. Get it replaced under the manufacturer's warranty, and move on.

Granted, DiskWarrior might be able to help, and if it's not a dead drive, that could fix your bootable backup too, but if it failed to verify after wiping it, that's probably actually a dead drive.

jW