Invalid Node Structure Error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by predaver, Feb 3, 2014.

1. predaver macrumors newbie

I recently dropped my Macbook and now it wont startup it can't get past the white startup screen. I tried starting the computer in safe mode, i got a black screen that gave me a sort of "command prompt" interface. the computer cycled through its boot order until it read errors "disk0s2: I/0 error. invalid node structure" and it would repeat this read out indefinitely. from what i understand my hard drive is damaged and should be replaced, is there any way for me to recover files from the damaged harddrive before i replace it??

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

you might be able to recover by putting the bad disk in an external enclosure.

But what about your backup? You do have a backup right?

3. predaver, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

predaver thread starter macrumors newbie

No It's not backed up which is why I want to try and recover what's on it... Anything important I have on flashdrives but I don't really want to lose all my photos and music.

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Flash drives aren't that rugged. If you drop them they are much more likely to survive than an regular hard drive. But reading a flash drive is hard on it.
    Have a back up solution, like Time machine and a bootable copy.
    [getting off soapbox]

big maybe on getting your data back.
    Buy a couple hard drives. One to replace the one in your macbook. Get the OS installed and the files off the flash drives. Get a USB to SATA adapter or dock to mount the old damaged drive (or borrow one).
    Tech Tool maybe able retrieve some of the files (or some other software).
    Sounds like the inode table part is physically damaged, so who knows if you can get it back.

Backup!

5. predaver thread starter macrumors newbie

I will definetly backup everything from now on... Just need to try and find a way to get any data I can off of my old one now...

6. msevild macrumors regular

If you can get the drive mounted to another Mac and can navigate the file system you can try to use the terminal command ditto. Look up its correct usage through google. Plenty of documentation out there. With bad hard drives and the importance of the data I would recommend professional recovery, as expensive as it is.