Invalid node structure help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Johnmacuser, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Johnmacuser macrumors newbie

Hello everybody this is my first post here and I would be very happy if anybody would be willing to give me some advice. I have a late 2008 intel iMac and it has been acting strange lately and running very slow. I went out and bought some new ram and it was working great again for a few days. I had a power cut in my house last week and when I went to turn the iMac on it would not get passed the grey screen and would just restart it self after a few moments.I put in the os install cd and ran disk utility but I got a invalid node structure error and it would not repair it.

I read up on this and saw from other peoples experiences a program called disk warrior could repair this so I went out and bought this program. The program managed to write a new directory but it could not replace the one on the harddrive as it says the harddrive has a disk malfunction and may have mechanical damage. Now my problem is over the last few months I have been slacking on making backups of my data and I am terrified I am going to lose all my stuff. I am also hesitant on spending anymore money on trying to fix the hard drive as I already spent a good bit of money on disk warrior.

I need to know though if I go out and buy a new external harddrive and plug it into my iMac will disk warrior give me the option of moving the new directory onto the external harddrive. I know it is unlikely but is there any chance I can save my current hard drive by moving the directory onto a external one. I would then reformat my harddrive and reinstall os and move the directory over from the external.

Any advice on this at all would really be appreciated I have been pulling my hair out with out my iMac the last while and I really do not know what to do next. also I am sorry for the spelling as I wrote this from my iPhone. Thank you for your time.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Since disk warrior is saying there is a possibility that there is possible mechanical failure, I would suggest you do not attempt to reload the os back on that possibly failing disk. Replace the internal hard disk and do a fresh install. Then get a usb hdd enclosure and put the failing HDD in the enclosure and attempt to recover data from the failed HDD.

3. Johnmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice and taking the time to write back. I am going to go ahead and do what you said. Is it difficult to put a hard drive into a late 2008 intel iMac would it just be the case of opening the back of it grounding my self then replacing the old one.