"Invalid Password"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Throwaway, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Throwaway macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I got a MacBook Pro when I went off to college, and I just brought it home for the first time. Problem is, I can't get it to connect to my house's WiFi network. We use a WPA Personal setting, so a password is required, but every time I put it in it rejects it as invalid. I know it's the right password, both because everyone confirms it and it works on all the other computers, so that particular error is something of a mystery. All the other computers in the house are PCs, but I think that a different Mac has been used in the house without incident. Any ideas?

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

3. Throwaway thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Does the router have MAC filtering/ or require a button to be pressed before it will accept a new connection?

Or, and I had this happen with a connection to another device, my router once just went sulky, wouldn't connect to the device, I spent a couple of hours fiddling with every conceivable setting and password on the device, reloaded the software on it, was going to do a complete factory reset, until I took the simple action of powering the router off/on after which it worked perfectly

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Something to try: From System Preferences > Network, under the Location drop go to Edit and create a new location. Set this one up as you normally would.

6. Throwaway thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, damn. I hadn't tried restarting the router, on the belief that the problem couldn't possibly be there... and now it works perfectly. (Apparently I've forgotten Rule #1: If it doesn't work, restart.)

Thanks, Tumbleweed666.

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000