Invalid Record Count - Won't get past the blue screen on startup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by levani, Apr 28, 2009.

1. levani macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I hope you can help me with my current issue,

I had a presentation today, and plugged my MacBook Pro ('06 version, and 10.4.10) laptop into a projector. Right as I did that, things went a little crazy, the audio was coming out with hissing, it was running very slow, and overall just went from running great to disfunctional. It finally froze, and I shut it off. A couple of hours later, I'm failing to get past the blue screen during the start-up.

When i run in safe mode, its just shuts off while i'm holding the shift key.

Disk Utility through the installer is not working because the cd gets ejected while I hold C key (could be because my drive is pretty awful)

The /sbin/fsck -fy renders the following:
    disk0s2: 0x0030005 (UNDEFINED)
    ** Checking HFS Plus volume.
    ** Checking Extents Overflow file.
    ** Checking Catalog File.
    Invalid record count
    (4, 10038)
    ** Volume check failed

I can also access the files on the drive through another laptop through firewire, however the file transfers are very slow.

Unfortunately I have some very serious files on the hard-drive, I have most of it backed up, but I would highly prefer an option that didn't require me to reinstall OSX.

Any help would be greatly be appreciated,

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try booting the computer while holding the Option/Alt key as soon as the chime sounds until the boot selector screen appears. Insert the disc, wait for the drive to load it, then select it as the volume to boot from.