Invalid Sibling Link - What does that mean?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kimi, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

Right, I've been having a few problems with my MacBook today. They all started when I run the update tool, and was given this one where I had to shut down and hold the power button until there were some beeps. I downloaded and installed, and then did the shut down fine.

A few hours of normal use later came the problems, I got me an message saying "Error need to restart" (or what ever, the screen dimmed and the box is there with it saying that in a few languages, I know it's a really bad thing). Anyway, I shutdown from that and restart again. This time I get the same error before the little circle on booting screen gets done. And I try again and it dies before even then. On the screen the was a bunch of hex numbers and the top line said something about not being able to find a driver.

I went though this a couple more times before I managed to get to the desktop, and it died a few seconds into that. After trying a few more times I managed to get to the desktop and copy some files onto a USB stick (university assignments that I need, as in pass or fail the semester kinda thing), and it dies just after that.

I've now got it to boot and I'm typing on it now, I ran the Disk Utility and it told me that there's an "Invalid sibling link". And I need to repair the drive. Is there any way I can do this with using the MacBook's install disks? (I left them a uni, I'm home for the coming week so I can't use them). Also, I should have 10.5 being sent to my house and I'm hoping for a Friday delivery, would I be able to use that?

Also, is this fatal to the drive? Do I have to wipe it and start again or should I be able to fix it easy?

Thanks for any help.

2. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

*BUMP*

I've now got rid of the Invalid Siblin Link when I run Disk Utility as I managed to boot into Single User Mode and use the command line to run the disk repair. But I'm still having issues and have to reboot after about 5 mins each time. Any help?

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Maybe this could help you?

But I would make a complete backup of your Home folder first!