Invalid SIM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MJedi, May 9, 2011.

1. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Hello all,

Yesterday, my iPad 2 3G gave me the error "Invalid SIM." I turned off the iPad, removed and reseated the SIM, and the problem went away. Later, it gave me the same error. Has anyone had this problem?

The only theory I have is that this is because I swapped the SIM from my iPad 1 3G. Although why would it stop now when it has been working in the iPad 2 for 3 weeks now? It even renewed the data plan successfully.

I'm also thinking that the iPad 2 may have a problem with the SIM slot. To test this, I put back the SIM that came with the iPad 2. So far, the error hasn't occurred. It could also be that the iPad 1 SIM is has gone bad, although I have never heard of that.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm afraid I have no idea. For what it's worth, when I got my iPad 2, I swapped SIM with my iPad 1, and it's been working perfectly ever since, with no error messages.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If under warranty (and all iPad 2 are), get Apple to check it out.

4. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

It must be the sim since the other sim works. The iPads are not tied to sims so one working and the other not isn't an issue with the iPad

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I would take it to an Apple store or ATT company owned store.

6. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Just an update. The iPad 2 now gives the "No SIM card installed" error with the newer SIM. I've updated to iOS 4.3.3 and reset network settings. So, it's time to take a trip to the Genius Bar.

Thanks everyone.

7. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Just came back from the Genius Bar. Since I already did all the troubleshooting myself (including Reset Network Settings) the tech replaced my iPad 2. It was the first time he has heard of this happening on the iPad 2, but he has seen it with the iPad 1.

Kudos to Apple for making this warranty service easy.